Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I wish you all the best and why not get yourself a small inflatable for when your near some lake, river, sea etc, mind you that might be the last thing you want to do.

Boating is like a drug me, I couldn't bear to give it up but I do have those thoughts and I guess many boaters do whether it is worth it; considering the ever increasing costs. But then I have one of those excellent days out at sea and I come to my "senses". However for me I do other things so my wife enjoys the "balance" we have holidays aboard (e.g. Australia, Maldives etc), we do sightseeing around the UK and of course time out on the boat as well as my diving. I often thought about upgrading to a larger boat but then begin to think I may have to cut back elsewhere especially considering the fuel prices, so still with my current S24 which I've had since new in 1999!

Good luck and enjoy.

PS. My cousin is member of a small group (4/5 of them) who look after a Piper (4 seater) plane, it seems to work well for him instead of a club. Seems very flexible booking the plane out for a day trip.

Quote Originally Posted by omega2 View Post
    If the boat is not used for fishing then it's a waste of money in my book. Cannot see any point in visiting places in the UK by boat, lets face it you can do it by road in no time at all.
    Fishing from a boat is a very expensive way of getting food. If you really think visiting places by car is the same as sailing there - then you need to sell your boat too.

I drive a couple of open cars, and I love the feel of the wind in my hair, but they are still NOTHING like the experience of sailing - or even motoring around the coast in a boat.

Anytime I am on the land, looking out to sea, I wonder how it would look from the sea looking back at the coast. I never feel the opposite on the boat.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

omega2 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    Fishing from a boat is a very expensive way of getting food. If you really think visiting places by car is the same as sailing there - then you need to sell your boat too.

I drive a couple of open cars, and I love the feel of the wind in my hair, but they are still NOTHING like the experience of sailing - or even motoring around the coast in a boat.

Anytime I am on the land, looking out to sea, I wonder how it would look from the sea looking back at the coast. I never feel the opposite on the boat.
    I bow to your superior knowledge, but it's not just the catching it's the fishing that gets you, these are a bonus.

Zagato is offline Registered User

You can never get the thrill of sailing out of your blood if you have started from dinghy's up but perhaps not having that foundation I can understand that your wife probably does not "get" sailing, especially in a BIG boat! To feel the surge of natural power and use your skills to best effect is largely what it is all about.

Driving up and down the coast from the same location must get repetitive after a while. At least with caravanning you can go anywhere quite easily at anytime and the weather cannot stop you.

My wife also loves caravanning but I have to warn you the camp sites in Britain can be booked up from the beginning of the year for the holiday seasons - I hope Europe is not now the same. The Caravan Club for instance has a policy that you can book sites without penalty if you cancel and unfortunately people just blanket book everything to cover all possibilities. The Club recognises this practice and will hopefully change it in future!

Have fun with your new venture, my parents in their mid 70's still caravan in Europe and still really enjoy themselves, what about a motor home? A pain in Britian but handy abroad for longer breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by omega2 View Post
    I bow to your superior knowledge, but it's not just the catching it's the fishing that gets you, these are a bonus.
    Nice catch, not sure I would have kept the Dogfish tho' with other choices on the menu. When it comes to fishing, it seems you are the one with superior knowledge! I fish for supper now & again, but because I have limited commitment - I have limited skill & beggar all success!

Clearly, I have no superior knowledge, just a different point of view. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Personally, I enjoy the challenge of passage making using natural resources (if I can).
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

tinkicker0 is online now Registered User

Yup when you get the niggles and they don't let up it's time to say adios to the boat.

I was a keen motorcyclist for 30 years or so, competed in Trials and Motorcross when younger and have had many road bikes.

Got a job mending them and the rot set in, bikes did not get used as I was biked out all day long and i used to start having discussions about "cost effectiveness", with bikes sat in the garage hardly turnning a wheel.

Got rid of me trusty VFR750 and bought a Blackbird to try get a bit of excitement back.
    Did less than 2000 miles in two years.
    Thought a different bike and riding style would do the trick, got rid of the Blackbird and bought a CB1300F3. In two years, did 1500 miles.

So got rid of everything and boaught a boat.

I have never regretted it and don't miss the bikes one bit.

When the niggle won't go away, its time to take notice.
    Avatar = Bailey - Gone but not forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkicker0 View Post
    Yup when you get the niggles and they don't let up it's time to say adios to the boat.

I was a keen motorcyclist for 30 years or so, competed in Trials and Motorcross when younger and have had many road bikes.

Got a job mending them and the rot set in, bikes did not get used as I was biked out all day long and i used to start having discussions about "cost effectiveness", with bikes sat in the garage hardly turnning a wheel.

Got rid of me trusty VFR750 and bought a Blackbird to try get a bit of excitement back.
    Did less than 2000 miles in two years.
    Thought a different bike and riding style would do the trick, got rid of the Blackbird and bought a CB1300F3. In two years, did 1500 miles.

So got rid of everything and boaught a boat.

I have never regretted it and don't miss the bikes one bit.

When the niggle won't go away, its time to take notice.
    Many years ago I worked with a guy whose hobby was photography & he funded it by doing weddings at the weekends. On hearing that he reckoned he would make more money from going full-time than we were paid for our proper jobs, I asked why he didn't go Pro. His answer was brief "It wouldn't be fun any more". It took me a while (several years) before I understood that answer, but it is almost exactly in line with your experience I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
    You can never get the thrill of sailing out of your blood if you have started from dinghy's up but perhaps not having that foundation I can understand that your wife probably does not "get" sailing, especially in a BIG boat! To feel the surge of natural power and use your skills to best effect is largely what it is all about.

Driving up and down the coast from the same location must get repetitive after a while. At least with caravanning you can go anywhere quite easily at anytime and the weather cannot stop you.

My wife also loves caravanning but I have to warn you the camp sites in Britain can be booked up from the beginning of the year for the holiday seasons - I hope Europe is not now the same. The Caravan Club for instance has a policy that you can book sites without penalty if you cancel and unfortunately people just blanket book everything to cover all possibilities. The Club recognises this practice and will hopefully change it in future!

Have fun with your new venture, my parents in their mid 70's still caravan in Europe and still really enjoy themselves, what about a motor home? A pain in Britian but handy abroad for longer breaks.
    Im hoping this will be the case for me, having played with inflatables from about 16 YO to late 20's, now just getting my 1st 'proper' boat at the age of 44 that being on the water is in my blood, i would hate to get bored on the sea or river, but understand it happens, things and people change.

I think its the same for everything in life (had this discussion with my X years ago) she became an avid F1 fan and gardner, i have been interested in both for as long as i can remember, and still am...where as she has no interst in either these days.

I dont think i would ever want a HUGE Sunseeker type boat as i would not feel as attached to the water if that makes sense, i actually hate being on ferries as its no fun....maybe im a wierd boater

Quote Originally Posted by Warpa View Post
    (snip)
    I dont think i would ever want a HUGE Sunseeker type boat as i would not feel as attached to the water if that makes sense, i actually hate being on ferries as its no fun....maybe im a wierd boater
    I think you are spot on. It's the difference between an open car & a bus, or motorbike & a saloon car, or a microlight & an airliner. It's the connection with the elements that I need to make progress which I value.

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    I think you are spot on. It's the difference between an open car & a bus, or motorbike & a saloon car, or a microlight & an airliner. It's the connection with the elements that I need to make progress which I value.
    Thats probably a better way to phrase it But yes, i like to have spray break over the bow and put a huge grin on my face, so does the current mrs Warpa