Default You WILL

Miss the boat.

Ian
    Sod it, I've forgotten how to ride me bike

nicho is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by iangrant View Post
    Miss the boat.

Ian
    You are probably right Ian, but I hope not too much. We are giving it up because of the other things we want to do before we get too old (I'm just three years off 70!), and with the best will in the world, we arn't getting any younger. Right now, we are both (reasonably) fit, active and compos mentis, but in three years time? Who knows.

Anyway, we are commited now, and are looking forward to the overnight ferry to St Malo, a nice dinner en route, and a club class cabin (not quite P & O!) followed by three weeks in Brittany in airconditioned comfort!!

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    Nice catch, not sure I would have kept the Dogfish tho' with other choices on the menu. When it comes to fishing, it seems you are the one with superior knowledge! I fish for supper now & again, but because I have limited commitment - I have limited skill & beggar all success!

Clearly, I have no superior knowledge, just a different point of view. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Personally, I enjoy the challenge of passage making using natural resources (if I can).
    No dogfish in those pics, i can tell you're not an angler lol

Not sure if i agree with you both, or disagree with you both. We do a lot of fishing trips, the trip out is nice, planning the day, where to go etc. A few leisurely hours of Squid drowning and back to the marina, hopefully with a few fish for the table.

We also like to go for a cruise. Sometimes i can't be bothered to go fishing. Last weekend we spent three days just cruising, including a trip along the Thames.

Always trying to do different things so we don't get bored. When the trip down to the boat starts to get a chore, the boat will be for sale.

Default Long term ...erm boating...some thoughts

Keep it Cheap
    Keep it Close
    Keep it Small.
    The way of the boating world always seems to be that bigger must surely be better and so events always seem to follow the same pattern.The urge for a bettter boat which will always be be bigger sooner or later emerges.A larger boat invariably means keeping it somewhere further away from home and hence more difficult and time consuming to get to.
    Although longer more comfortable journies are now possible,jump on the boat spontanous trips will be less likely to occur.
    Have a sneaking suspicion that the further above water you are,fun factor of just boating lessens as opposed to the satisfaction of owning the boat
    As an example one could dare to speculate that the chap 6" above the water in his dinghy is actually having more fun than the chap 10ft above the water on his flybridge.
    Probably most joy was had from basic simple first boat without worry of whizzing along with ear cocked trying to detect which expensive bit of kit is going to announce its failure by making horrid noises or worse no noise at all.

Enjoy the share in the aeroplane, it really does make you a more confident pilot as it's all down to you as regards weather, etc.
    Hopefully you can block book it for a couple of weeks in the summer and just go where the fancy takes you, it's a fabulous thing to do, either UK or Europe.

nicho is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    Hi Mike, im sorry to hear you may venture out of boating, but your quite right as to how you both feel. I too have mine on the market, we have just come back from a week in Majorca and with this years August weather id really love to boat in the proper sun, now that would give us less time on the water but more quality time both on the water and in the sun. Maybe you need to find another cruising ground to enjoy. Im thinking about going for a smaller hardtop sportscruiser after this summers holiday weather, im still also thinking about buying another rally car, but thats very costly too as you well know.

Maybe going back to a smaller and less costly boat while still having a share in a plane and a 4wheel caravan would be a good idea, then do a bit of both on a more equal level that keeps the mrs happy, one of my oldest clients sold his boat to caravan and did abroad for a number of years taking it as far as Morocco,Italy etc.

Then out of the blue rang me to do a sea trial, hes now boating again in North Wales!.

Good luck in whatever you do, id say that now probably isnt the most cost effective time to sell a 48ft diesel guzzler.
    Hi Paul, trust you are well. Some years ago we had a small break from boating (a few months), and when we came back went for a smaller boat. It didn't work!! We very quickly went back to one of the same size as before. I think we've really done with boating - we've been aware we are a bit bored with it for a few months, and Maries' recent near drowning experience has not really helped, though that has not put her off, it's just another factor.

No, the real reason is we do want to do these other things, and being well in retirement now, we cannot afford to do it all!!

We decided to put the boat on the market now, but not expecting any quick results. The marina is paid for until August next year, and we will continue to use the boat (locally only) until it's sold.

Another rally car in the pipeline eh? Interestingly, the guy who owns the caravan manufacturing company (Swift Group) that we are buying from is an old friend. He is heavily involved in classic rallying - he has several classic cars, including an Opel Kadett of Culcheth fame. He pedals it furiously, to be seen on several YouTube videos.

Good luck - do they still hold the Dukeries? - I remember the long bumpy sandy straights (can't remember the forests name) pulling awesome speeds on the RAC Rally. Those were the days!

Cheers mate,

Mike N

I have enjoyed your thoughtful comments on these fora. I hope you enjoy your new pastimes and still find the occasional opportunity to add your views on here.

kcrane is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by benjenbav View Post
    I have enjoyed your thoughtful comments on these fora. I hope you enjoy your new pastimes and still find the occasional opportunity to add your views on here.
    Seconded...

Quote Originally Posted by nicho View Post
    Hi Paul, trust you are well. Some years ago we had a small break from boating (a few months), and when we came back went for a smaller boat. It didn't work!! We very quickly went back to one of the same size as before. I think we've really done with boating - we've been aware we are a bit bored with it for a few months, and Maries' recent near drowning experience has not really helped, though that has not put her off, it's just another factor.

No, the real reason is we do want to do these other things, and being well in retirement now, we cannot afford to do it all!!

We decided to put the boat on the market now, but not expecting any quick results. The marina is paid for until August next year, and we will continue to use the boat (locally only) until it's sold.

Another rally car in the pipeline eh? Interestingly, the guy who owns the caravan manufacturing company (Swift Group) that we are buying from is an old friend. He is heavily involved in classic rallying - he has several classic cars, including an Opel Kadett of Culcheth fame. He pedals it furiously, to be seen on several YouTube videos.

Good luck - do they still hold the Dukeries? - I remember the long bumpy sandy straights (can't remember the forests name) pulling awesome speeds on the RAC Rally. Those were the days!

Cheers mate,

Mike N
    Hi Mike, yes they still have the Dukeries rally on my doorstep every june.

An old friend Russ Langthorne co drives your swift caravan owner, hes very good at it too, hes also co drove for steve perez.

Good luck in the future, im just the other side of Bursledon bridge back of the chinese, if you see a new blue vw transporter im there.

My advice would be to try boating down in the Med. that way as Volvo Paul says you can boat all year round and winter days in the med are like british summer days well most of the time.

If you get back into boating maybe you should try something like the Balearics all the same costs as the UK and it would take another twenty years to do all the available calas and bays.