Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you think boating is a 'money pit' ?

The shooting Times advert above reminded of a recent incident as I managed to find time to take a day off work to join a shoot party .

The game keeper approached me and suggested my low profile car wouldn't make it round the estates tracks , so I started to follow the only totty in sight towards the beaters wagon
    I was soon stopped and directed to a chauffeur driven brand new Range Rover .

Between drives I had lots of time to cover most topics with the owner.....

The 80 000 Range Rover was his 'work horse' bought just for shooting as he didnt want to get his best cars mucky

He didnt use his cars much anyway as he owns two aeroplanes and sometimes just flys round in circles for a buzz.

He has already booked over 30 days shooting and just a few weeks into the season he has already spent over 30 000

What has this got to do with a boating forum, well of course I managed to direct the conversation away from shooting, flying and spending obscene amounts of money on pleasure and onto boating
    No surprise to learn he had previously owned a boat, a little disappointed it was only an F33 but its a good boat and well known, perhaps he was previously a howards way fan or something.
    Anyway the point of the post if you haven't already guessed it
    when I asked him if would ever buy a boat again the reply came

"Oh no , boating is a real money pit"

home Warwickshire / boat currently in Plymouth

Default It all depends

It all depends on perspective and finance. The type of shooting you refer to is very different to that which the majority of game and clay shots enjoy. Thinking that typical shooting involves "chauffeur-driven 80,000 Range Rovers" is the same as believing average boating includes superyachts and paid crew.

What is the Shooting Times ad you mention?

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    What is the Shooting Times ad you mention?

http://redirectingat.com/?id=635X493...y.php%3Ff%3D14

Your add blocker must be working better than mine

I have to ban each add separately, have you managed to ban everything ?

home Warwickshire / boat currently in Plymouth

Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    Your add blocker must be working better than mine

I have to ban each add separately, have you managed to ban everything ?
    Thanks for the link, although I don't see the ad.

When I look at the YBW forums I see no ads at all. I use Firefox version 3.6.10 with Adblock Plus.

Default have been thinking

If I spend a six figure amount for a boat in the med,
    plus a five figure amount every year for mooring, fuel and maintenance,

or

I buy a house in the med with the same money,
    I can earn a 5 figure amount every year from rent

and after 5 to 10 years

the value of the boat is at least -50%
    the value of the house is at least +100%

but

difference in having fun is at least 200%

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post

difference in having fun is at least 200%
    Exactly BartW. Of course boating is a money pit. But what else is worth doing with money other than throwing it into a very nice pit. Should we save it all up, earn 0.25% interest on it, have no fun, then die rich? What a daft idea!

I've just had an idea to re-name my "pit" - Quatermass. In fact, the boatbuilders in our yard have 2 days to build the spaceship off that very movie over the weekend.

My pals that went duck shooting over the Dee marshes did'nt spend much. You don't want a top class gun if you are lying in a mud puddle from 3.00am until the ducks fly over. Their costs were cheap but fuctional guns, cartridges, decent clothing (probably use dry suits today) a dog (self trained) a few beers and cleaning bills for the muddy clothes (clean your gun yourself!)

In the same way I know people with small sailing boats &cheap mooring that get by on a few hundred a year.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

nope... I made money on the Binliner and the Fletcher owning each for one season, effectively free boating from each with a bit of money in the back pocket to go towards the next one. I've a sneaking feeling, all that's about to change but am very much looking forward to spending the money

Agree entirely. Boating is an appalling money pit. The problem is not the cost which is bad enough but the few days a year that you actually do it so in terms of cost per day, well, it doesn't bear thinking about. Taking account of all the berthing and maintenance costs, depreciation and loss of interest on the capital, boating probably costs me a minimum of 60k a year, maybe more. I probably get to my boat 40 days in a year so thats 1500 a day for the pleasure or sometimes lack of it.
    What else could I do with 1500 a day? Hire the best good time girl in London? At least I would have had some exercise at the end of it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast