Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vetus Anti syphon valve position

I would like to put my ASV a fair distance from the engine approx. 6ft I should like to place it on the bulkhead that partially encloses the toilet where it would be quite high and nearer the centre of the cabin (Galion sailboat) ,to do so the hoses leaving the engine would have to make a dip to pass under the cabin seat to reach the bulkhead .Would this be a no no?

Quote Originally Posted by bajo View Post
    I would like to put my ASV a fair distance from the engine approx. 6ft I should like to place it on the bulkhead that partially encloses the toilet where it would be quite high and nearer the centre of the cabin (Galion sailboat) ,to do so the hoses leaving the engine would have to make a dip to pass under the cabin seat to reach the bulkhead .Would this be a no no?

Most people like to put the ASV in the line feeding the engine from the cooling pump or a t worst in the line going to the exhaust mixing elbow from the engine....MAybe you need to explain why you want this not particularly pretty bit of plastic in the loo.....I do accept that the sound of running water through the valve fitted in the toilet may expedite the speed at which the crew deal with nature
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

mitiempo is offline Registered User

I'd place it high up in the engine compartment. Keeps the hoses short and that is really where it belongs. Below is a diagram showing its placement.
    Last edited by mitiempo; 18-07-11 at 19:57.
    Brian
    Afloat in Victoria B.C.

VicS is offline Registered User

Why would the OP want to have it six feet away? If concerned about height above the waterline, only the end of the 'air vent' pipe, 1/4" dia needs to be high up
    I was trying to stay out of this because I already know a bit about it ( In fact its my suggestion to post the question)

I think the OP only wants to put it 6ft away because he has identified a convenient location for it that happens to be 6 ft away. Also its not my understanding that he is putting it in the heads compartment, rather on the bulkhead that forms the heads compartment. In the heads compartment where it can easily be seen sounds like bl**dy good idea though!

However it is this statement which is wrong
    "only the end of the 'air vent' pipe, 1/4" dia needs to be high up."
    It is the top of the loop that must be the recommended height above the waterline. It would not help if the vent tube goes to the top of the mast, if the loop is not above the water line it can still syphon.

I agree the top of the loop has to be above the waterline at rest or heeled. One solution is to remove the rubber flapper and take the hose from the anti siphon to a fitting in the cockpit so you can visually see it spit a bit when the engine is running.
    Brian
    Afloat in Victoria B.C.

I wonder if having the ASV connected just before the exhaust mixing elbow, in the end flow of the cooling system, would that distance matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bajo View Post
    I wonder if having the ASV connected just before the exhaust mixing elbow, in the end flow of the cooling system, would that distance matter at all.

Yes.....if it is an unrealistic distsance from the ASV as here then that could be a couple of more pints of water for the water trap to cope with

If it is just a matter of knowing what is going on then do a Westerly and it the antisyphon loop without a valve in the usual place ant let it pee overside through a skin fitting under the gunwhale.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Or into the cockpit well so you can confirm flow. Suggested by Nigel Calder.
    Brian
    Afloat in Victoria B.C.

ref ASV does putting it six feet away cause a real problem

Don't think the distance (within reason) matters. The amount of additional water in the pipe is small. It is often not possible to get enough height in the engine compartment. I think the Contessa 26 with a 1GM has same problem and valve is put in a locker in the cabin. The Vetus drawing is only a schematic to show the critical heights.