Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    VO5 is online now Registered User

What you want is Directional Stability presented in such a way that it can be maintained.

You want your vessel to be pointing in the right direction and SLOWED DOWN when going down the slope of a wave so that on reaching the trough SHE DOES NOT DIG HER BOW IN.

Conventional sea anchors or conventional drogues cannot do this. Their pull is constant. It is this constant pull, both when the vessel is going up a wave and down it that causes the vessel not to be under constant and complete control of SPEED and DIRECTION, that allows the risk of her being overwhelmed to creep in.

This risk of FLUCTUATION of the vessel NOT being under constant and complete control has to be eliminated.

What is needed is a better methodology than just slowing the boat down in a STORM, a real STORM, a TOP NINE ~ BOTTOM TEN, or a TEN, or a TOP TEN ~ BOTTOM ELEVEN.....instead of just coping with a BOISTEROUS SEVEN or an EIGHT or ROUGH CONDITIONS.

What is needed is a method of holding her stern down, a method of holding her stern square to the wind and sea, a method of providing reliable directional stability, a method of adjusting her speed to prevent her from digging in her bow on reaching the trough and additionally, of slowing her down, you see ?

Watson47 is online now Registered User

... and that method/device is .... ?

If you trail a FIXED DROGUE, when the vessel runs down the face of a wave, the restraint is the same as when she is pushed up a wave. This is not satisfactory.

What is needed is for the vessel to be HELD BACK when sliding down the face of a wave, to slow her down, to keep her stern down, for directional stability to be maintained, and for the risk of digging her bow to be eliminated IFat that point the strain on the trail could be eased as the vessel settles in the trough, that would be ideal, would it not ?

And then DEPENDING ON THE PULL EXERTED for the TRAIL and DROGUE to respond ACCORDINGLY for the action of the vessel to be HARMONIOUS and not CONTRADICTORY, yes or no ?

Because if that were the case notwithstanding everything I have mentioned previously here ADDITIONALLY...the stress on the gear (Cleats, trail, drogue)
    and the vessel itself...would be less.

Such a methodology does exist. I have personally used it in three horrendous tropical depressions, in four bad storms and in hurricane conditions in the open ocean to my satisfaction the amazement and relief of my crew and the safety of my vessel.

Do you find this interesting so far ?

Quote Originally Posted by VO5 View Post
    What is needed is a better methodology than just slowing the boat down in a STORM, a real STORM, a TOP NINE ~ BOTTOM TEN, or a TEN, or a TOP TEN ~ BOTTOM ELEVEN.....instead of just coping with a BOISTEROUS SEVEN or an EIGHT or ROUGH CONDITIONS.

What is needed is a method of holding her stern down, a method of holding her stern square to the wind and sea, a method of providing reliable directional stability, a method of adjusting her speed to prevent her from digging in her bow on reaching the trough and additionally, of slowing her down, you see ?
    I don't have a copy to hand but from memory the case studies in Heavy Weather Sailing experinced the exact opposite of what you say, that the jordan series drogue was very effective at keeping directional stability, stern to the swell. I've never used one or even been in conditions close to needing any kind of drag device so cannot comment but the series drogue does seem to get good press from people who have used them one extreme conditions - have you tried one?

Quote Originally Posted by Conachair View Post
    I don't have a copy to hand but from memory the case studies in Heavy Weather Sailing experinced the exact opposite of what you say, that the jordan series drogue was very effective at keeping directional stability, stern to the swell. I've never used one or even been in conditions close to needing any kind of drag device so cannot comment but the series drogue does seem to get good press from people who have used them one extreme conditions - have you tried one?
    Yes, I did not like it, additionally it was a pig to deploy and a worse pig to retrieve. Horrendous if you are single handed.

And I forgot to add....

Think in terms of Prudent Seamanship and not in terms of theoretical ideology....

Think of scenarios in which the crew is seasick or incapacitated for some reason, then it is as if you are on your own in the ocean.

Then you have to have at hand methods you can guarantee you can handle alone, and competently, without any help whatsoever, whatever the weather.

Such a methodology does exist. I have personally used it in three horrendous tropical depressions, in four bad storms and in hurricane conditions in the open ocean to my satisfaction the amazement and relief of my crew and the safety of my vessel.
    well go on then, what is it??

"SEABRAKE"

Made in Australia.

Adopted and recommended by the Australian Coastguard. Adopted by the Australian Navy.

Researched and developed by an Australian Captain over several years.

Tested in the Bsss Strait, one of the most dangerous seas in the world rivalling Cape Horn, where seas with 60 foot waves in roaring winds are not uncommon.

Check it out. Come back and ask me any questions you like.

I have no commercial interest by the way.

It was introduced to me by an old friend, Captain Philip Smith.

I wish to record publicly my gratitude to him.

The effect on the vessel once the SEABRAKE is deployed is astonishing.

Recovering it is easy. If the vessel is stopped it can be recovered without much effort hand over hand. If under way, it can be winched aboard.

It stows easily, is not clumsy or unduly heavy or bulky.

When the SEABRAKE is deployed she just settles down to the amazement of the crew and a brew can be started in any weather and hot tea broken out all round, or even a hot meal prepared without difficulty. Amazing. All else is nonsense I am telling you.

When the SEABRAKE is deployed she just settles down to the amazement of the crew and a brew can be started in any weather and hot tea broken out all round
    What happens when the single point drogue you mention is thrown forward by a breaking wave, which then overtakes your yacht just as the absence of tension on the line leads to her broaching ?

Boo2
    Last edited by Boo2; 07-11-10 at 01:19.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast