Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Swagman is offline Registered User
    Location : Based from the UK, try to get away on a boat for at least two months a year.

From my limited experience getting competent in a 45 foot power boat will be easier and achieved quicker than him getting competent on a 45 foot sailing yacht.
    I'm equally sure with a desire to learn properly and the right support to do so, theres no reason why he will not succeed.
    Lets just hope his wife does not read the forum - or the poor chap has lost before he's even got started.
    I wish him all the best.
    JOHN
    Last edited by Swagman; 08-11-10 at 09:47.

Jim@sea is offline Registered User

We should welcome first timers as they have probably paid too much, not bothered with a survey as it was a boat that the boat broker recommended. He probably said "This boat has everything you would need to be able to go to sea" (apart from brains).

MVP is offline Registered User

Smile

I would suggest a subscription to "Caravanner's Monthly"

I'm sure this will join the legions of caravans disguised as boats that can be found in droves all around our coast.....

Why are so many making unpleasant comments. Do we as motorboaters automatically assume that newcomers are idiots? If they have the wherewithall to buy the boat then the chances are that they are not idiots. If they happen to read this thread then I guess they would feel pretty upset at people making assumptions based on individual prejudices. It's neither clever nor funny.

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Predictable comments about training blah blah blah but shouldn't we be pleased that somebody new is getting into motorboating?
    Not in something with as much potential for disaster as that!

We've all started at some time, but I sailed cheap dinks off the beach for 15 years before I invested 5k (a massive sum for me in the early 80's) in a small cruiser. So I understood tides & sailing already. I got a self-teach RYA course from the library to get the basics of Charts, Nav, lights, col regs, bouyage etc. I read every book I could get my hands on (& still do) and I joined a club to meet people who were doing it already so I could ask questions. I also did a 50 mile delivery/ shake-down cruise with the former owner who showed me lots of neat short cuts to safe sailing.

It really does worry me that someone feels safe spending 1/4m or similar & just going out in it without any prior experience of pottering around in smaller boats & putting some effort into investigating the risks & how to deal with them. It screams that they have NO IDEA what they have let themselves in for & have simple "bought a dream" which is very likely to become a nightmare.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Philiz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Why are so many making unpleasant comments. Do we as motorboaters automatically assume that newcomers are idiots? If they have the wherewithall to buy the boat then the chances are that they are not idiots. If they happen to read this thread then I guess they would feel pretty upset at people making assumptions based on individual prejudices. It's neither clever nor funny.
    Agreed, we know nothing about these folk other than what is stated in the OP. Huge assumptions are being made regarding their intelligence and ability to learn how to handle their new boat. For all we know they may well have training etc. all planned, did they actually ask the OP for his advice? Or was it just chat?
    Can't help thinking there is a bit of elitism and smugness being exhibited here.

Clearly if they just try and use the boat without aquiring the necessary skills, they will be foolish. But we have no idea if this is in fact the case.
    'I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered! My life is my own!'

Quote Originally Posted by Philiz View Post
    Agreed, we know nothing about these folk other than what is stated in the OP. Huge assumptions are being made regarding their intelligence and ability to learn how to handle their new boat. For all we know they may well have training etc. all planned, did they actually ask the OP for his advice? Or was it just chat?
    Can't help thinking there is a bit of elitism and smugness being exhibited here.

Clearly if they just try and use the boat without aquiring the necessary skills, they will be foolish. But we have no idea if this is in fact the case.
    The Ins Co may have insisted on clauses as to Her use
    I may be wrong but not always

Ripster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Philiz View Post

Well put sir.... reading through the comments that was my feeling too. Lets encourage them all the way to enjoy their new chosen hobby in a safe and sensible manner rather than taking mick' when at the moment we are devoid of facts about their intended plans (however tempting all the clever comments maybe).
    Think outside the box.

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    The Ins Co may have insisted on clauses as to Her use
    They didn't when i bought my first boat.

OK, so my first post was really meant to be a joke. I should be the last person to suggest they should have started 120 years ago in a canoe. My first boat was a Princess 32, launched into a very fast tidal river, with my only previous experience being a couple of jet skis. I'm not an idiot (no, really), i did several months of research and study and since then hace continued to do so. I've never had a serious incident, never bashed anyone's boat and have now successfully cruised a large chunk of the East Coast. I have never taken any courses, other than the VHF certificate of competence.

So, here's wishing them lots of fun times on the boat. Here's hoping they take some courses or at least do some serious study and to everything safely. Here's hoping that if the do move to the East Coast, they don't bash MY boat

If the guy has the resourcefulness to buy a 45'er first up he can't be that much of an idiot!