Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 71
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    25,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aigua View Post
    On reflection my post was perhaps a little harsh so I am sorry for appearing rude Searush.

    I do however stand by the fact that your post was a tad on the self rightious side
    Everyone has to start somewhere, sometime. How about you?

    The point I tried to make (unsuccessfully in your case obviously) was that I started low cost & simple so my mistakes were manageable. I have never had any lessons or quals (apart from Sea Scouts "Anchor Badge") but I have made an effort to teach myself.

    I wouldn't dare spend ŁK100's (even if I had them) & just try to drive it.

    Not sure what is "self-righteous" about that, but I accept that it is your perception, even if I can't understand it. And you? I notice you haven't actually ventured any opinion of your own other than attacking my post.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

    Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    60,536

    Default

    well said Searush
    I started in a Mirror Dinghy then a Silhouette Mk 2 + you have more Quals than Me
    I may be wrong but not always

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,421

    Default

    Time I think to mention Tom.
    Tom built a 60ft steel motor cruiser, everyone who saw it, and I mean everyone, on seeing it could not believe it was steel and had to tap it to see if it was fibreglass. The inside was fabulous and put most production boats to shame. Tom had no real boat experience; however he took this boat through the canals to the med, with sometimes only an inch to spare in the locks and got there without a scratch on his fabulous paint job. He regularly pi$$es me off on Skype showing me the great places he is visiting in the Greek Islands.
    Now pray tell where are all you expert forum knockers sailing!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    25,704

    Default

    BigWow, Are you saying that he downed tools, picked up his passport & sailed this super boat out of the dock never having set foot on a boat before & with no attempt to find out anything about nav/ laws/ weather/ boat handling/ etc etc? I doubt it, but welcome to the discussion, I'm sure you'll add something relevant next time.

    Incidentally, lots of people have done exactly what I described above, but seldom with much success, read "Desperate Voyage" by John Cauldwell, or "Last Voyage" by Anne Davison for two examples.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

    Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

  5. #35
    hlb's Avatar
    hlb is online now Registered User
    Location : Any Pub Lancashire or Wales
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    26,497

    Default

    I did ten years before I had any kind of training, then it was a shore based day skipper course, where I learned stuff I never needed and soon forgot again.

    By this time, we'd wizzed half way round Ireland, maybe ten times and still found our way back to Wales.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    BigWow, Are you saying that he downed tools, picked up his passport & sailed this super boat out of the dock never having set foot on a boat before & with no attempt to find out anything about nav/ laws/ weather/ boat handling/ etc etc? I doubt it, but welcome to the discussion, I'm sure you'll add something relevant next time.

    Incidentally, lots of people have done exactly what I described above, but seldom with much success, read "Desperate Voyage" by John Cauldwell, or "Last Voyage" by Anne Davison for two examples.
    Not exactly, Tom is a very methodical chap and researches everything, buys the books and even reads them. I went with him on the “shakedown” to Conwy and back then off he went.

  7. #37
    U4's Avatar
    U4 is offline Registered User
    Location : South Coast
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    721

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    Everyone has to start somewhere, sometime. How about you?

    The point I tried to make (unsuccessfully in your case obviously) was that I started low cost & simple so my mistakes were manageable. I have never had any lessons or quals (apart from Sea Scouts "Anchor Badge") but I have made an effort to teach myself.

    I wouldn't dare spend ŁK100's (even if I had them) & just try to drive it.

    Not sure what is "self-righteous" about that, but I accept that it is your perception, even if I can't understand it. And you? I notice you haven't actually ventured any opinion of your own other than attacking my post.
    Ok so answers below....

    Everyone has to start somewhere, sometime. How about you?
    I purchased my first boat (21ft cuddy) around 5 years ago so am still very much a novice. I'm largely self teaching however I have done a few RYA courses including PBL2 (which was the first one I did the day that I collected my first boat). I have also read a whole bunch of RYA books.

    I wouldn't dare spend ŁK100's (even if I had them) & just try to drive it.
    The cost of the boat is irrelevant as no one ever suggested that they were 'just going to try to drive it'....

    Not sure what is "self-righteous" about that, but I accept that it is your perception, even if I can't understand it. And you? I notice you haven't actually ventured any opinion of your own other than attacking my post.
    Ok, so here is my opinion. I get frustrated with the suggestion that unless you had the luck to live in a circumstance whereby you experienced boating (be it sail or power) for a substantial period of time you are not responsible enough to own a large boat. Some people simply dont have the luxury of time.

    Apparently you have to have sailed dinks (I guess these are tiny sailing boats?) and progressed through the ranks slowly if you don't want to have a complete nightmare (for you and all around you).

    Personally if I had the resource I would have had a 45ft boat for my first boat in a shot - unfortunately I didn't (and still don't).

    You made big assumptions in your post regarding the competence of the new owner and I viewed you post as a rather self indulgent ramble about your rise to utter boating competence

  8. #38
    hlb's Avatar
    hlb is online now Registered User
    Location : Any Pub Lancashire or Wales
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    26,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aigua View Post
    Ok so answers below....



    I purchased my first boat (21ft cuddy) around 5 years ago so am still very much a novice. I'm largely self teaching however I have done a few RYA courses including PBL2 (which was the first one I did the day that I collected my first boat). I have also read a whole bunch of RYA books.



    The cost of the boat is irrelevant as no one ever suggested that they were 'just going to try to drive it'....



    Ok, so here is my opinion. I get frustrated with the suggestion that unless you had the luck to live in a circumstance whereby you experienced boating (be it sail or power) for a substantial period of time you are not responsible enough to own a large boat. Some people simply dont have the luxury of time.

    Apparently you have to have sailed dinks (I guess these are tiny sailing boats?) and progressed through the ranks slowly if you don't want to have a complete nightmare (for you and all around you).

    Personally if I had the resource I would have had a 45ft boat for my first boat in a shot - unfortunately I didn't (and still don't).

    You made big assumptions in your post regarding the competence of the new owner and I viewed you post as a rather self indulgent ramble about your rise to utter boating competence
    Whilst to some extent I agree with you. Be carefull. On here there is great experience and knowledge. It's your choice, do you want their help and advice, or just want to piss them off. It may be at the moment, you just want to sail round a duck pond. Eventually you might want to actually go some where. Be carefull of getting blanked. You might miss out on a whole load of help.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    25,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aigua View Post
    Ok so answers below....

    I purchased my first boat (21ft cuddy) around 5 years ago so am still very much a novice. I'm largely self teaching however I have done a few RYA courses including PBL2 (which was the first one I did the day that I collected my first boat). I have also read a whole bunch of RYA books.

    The cost of the boat is irrelevant as no one ever suggested that they were 'just going to try to drive it'....

    Ok, so here is my opinion. I get frustrated with the suggestion that unless you had the luck to live in a circumstance whereby you experienced boating (be it sail or power) for a substantial period of time you are not responsible enough to own a large boat. Some people simply dont have the luxury of time.

    Apparently you have to have sailed dinks (I guess these are tiny sailing boats?) and progressed through the ranks slowly if you don't want to have a complete nightmare (for you and all around you).

    Personally if I had the resource I would have had a 45ft boat for my first boat in a shot - unfortunately I didn't (and still don't).

    You made big assumptions in your post regarding the competence of the new owner and I viewed you post as a rather self indulgent ramble about your rise to utter boating competence
    Thanks for the info. That sounds like an eminently sensible & seamanlike way to progress. Sure I'm OLD, so I should have lots of experience, but it obviously wasn't always so. All I tried to say is take care with the Sea, don't do it the discourtesy of thinking "there's nothing to it". With all my years of experience I still make mistakes - which could be fatal if I wasn't prepared, & able to deal with them. (incidentally, Dinks is an abbreviation of dinghies)

    OP (troll or not) implied that these people had little or no understanding of what they were letting themselves in for. Many of us consider that a recipe for disaster (see thread on Sunderland incident). Buying a big boat & just setting off is a bit like getting in an 8-wheeler & driving it off without any prep (whoops, someone else has already said that).

    Most of us would prefer to learn in something a bit more manageable (just like you) or at least take professional training. If someone has 100k plus for a boat, then a few hundred for a bit of training doesn't seem out of order and is a very quick way of getting basic skills so they can gain experience safely. You suggest that they may not have the "Luxury of time" - well it's only a week or two of training, if they can't manage that, then perhaps it is rather too late to be taking up a new hobby.

    Is that any clearer, because your reply above shows you have far more in common with me than the "It's fine to buy a boat & just drive off brigade"? Incidentally, try having a beer by the nearest lock to a canal hire company one Saturday if you want to see what happens when people think they can just drive off in a boat. It is great entertainment - and they have all had 5 mins "training!"
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

    Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

  10. #40
    PaulGooch's Avatar
    PaulGooch is offline Registered User
    Location : Home = Norfolk, Boat = The Wash
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    <snip> Incidentally, try having a beer by the nearest lock to a canal hire company one Saturday if you want to see what happens when people think they can just drive off in a boat. It is great entertainment - and they have all had 5 mins "training!"
    I don't need to go far Searush, my marina is behind a lock. Coming back in on a busy Summers day can be very entertaining. More than once i've had to abort the lock entry because a yacht has managed to get stuck sideways in the lock

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •