Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perkins HT6.354 engines

Urgent advice needed for the above engines. I'm in search of a pair of Perkins 6.354 turbo diesels which are rated at 145HP. I have the chance of purchasing a pair of HT6.354's which are the horizontal version of the same engine and are in excellent condition.
    The question is - can this variant of the engine be converted back to the normal upright configuration. I realise that a lot of the bracketry will need altering and various items will need repositioning but what of the more major items - will the sump require replacing etc?
    Any advice from anybody with experience of hese engines would be very welcomed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNPEET View Post
    Urgent advice needed for the above engines. I'm in search of a pair of Perkins 6.354 turbo diesels which are rated at 145HP. I have the chance of purchasing a pair of HT6.354's which are the horizontal version of the same engine and are in excellent condition.
    The question is - can this variant of the engine be converted back to the normal upright configuration. I realise that a lot of the bracketry will need altering and various items will need repositioning but what of the more major items - will the sump require replacing etc?
    Any advice from anybody with experience of hese engines would be very welcomed.

John
    There are probrably far to many changes needed to make it cost effective, the sump, oil pick up etc is totally different, I would say it would be easier to find a pair of upright engines and save a lot of time and money.

Default Perkins HT6.354 engines

Thanks for the advice. I suspected this would be the gist of any advice - I just needed convincing to pass on these particular engines which are in really good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNPEET View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I suspected this would be the gist of any advice - I just needed convincing to pass on these particular engines which are in really good condition.
    As the ht version is now scarce on certain parts id give them a miss, the sump and oil pump system is a lot different to the vertical engine (just got one in pieces at the moment) Id go for the upright as parts easy to get.

I know where the are 2 upright engines at 145hp but they will need a rebuild and judging by the state of th one ive got in bits at the mo they will need new exhaust manifold as they are raw water cooled and rot like hell, nearly 1k a piece too, send me a pm with your details and I can pass on where they are.

The HT's might well be a handed pair, they often are, the clever thing to do with these is take the LH specific parts from one HT and build a LH T6, then you have a handed pair of T6's.

Very few of the upright T6's came in LH you see.

penfold is offline Registered User
    Location : On the Clyde with a good view of where Kip chimney used to be

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    As the ht version is now scarce on certain parts id give them a miss, the sump and oil pump system is a lot different to the vertical engine (just got one in pieces at the moment) Id go for the upright as parts easy to get.

I know where the are 2 upright engines at 145hp but they will need a rebuild and judging by the state of th one ive got in bits at the mo they will need new exhaust manifold as they are raw water cooled and rot like hell, nearly 1k a piece too, send me a pm with your details and I can pass on where they are.
    At that price it would be cheaper to get a fabricator to knock up copies out of stainless.
    Grünkraft? - nein danke.

Andrew_Fanner is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    At that price it would be cheaper to get a fabricator to knock up copies out of stainless.
    Indeed so. I have quipped that it would be cheaper to go on a self-funded stainless welding and fabrication course and then make the damn things yourself than shunt out that sort of cash. You would also end up with longer lasting ones.

I need to talk to a fellow club member who does have all those skills about fabrication of manifolds. Given its all hidden away, as long as it WAI I'm not fussy over appearance. Someone in the Moonraker club does them. He is also looking into water jackets for the turbochargers as they run pretty hot

To echo other posters, the HTs have a large quantity of major components that are specific to them, or are common to the vertical engines but are machined differently and possibly incompatibly. I suspect that this may include major castings.

I'd be ineterested in details of the two nice ones by PM though. As mine are 40 years old a like for like replacement may be a vaible consideration, even though they were apparently rebuilt by Golden Arrow 20 years ago.
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Default Perkins 6.354 Marine Diesel Engines non turbo 120hp

Sadly very little in common between turbo 6.354's and N/A engines listed on Ebay, crank, head, pistons, pretty much the whole nine yards different.

"The question is - can this variant of the engine be converted back to the normal upright configuration."

probably a silly question but cant you install em as they are...........erm hroizontal

(yes we know they are not actually horizontal just leaning over)