Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Should Chandlers sell their story? - Do not publish details of release, family urge

Yachting Monthly's Dick Durham:

"If contracts have already been drawn up by newspapers for the human interest story of the newly-released yachting duo Paul and Rachel Chandler's 388 days in captivity, they should tread carefully.

Of course the Chandlers are in the unenviable position of being indebted to creditors who raised a reported 600,000 for their release.

But the family have stated that it 'would be irresponsible to discuss any aspect of the release process as this could encourage others to capture private individuals and demand large ransom payments.'

Good point and if they do sell their story to a newspaper, that could be the greatest incentive of all for Somali pirates to target yachtsmen.

The best way forward would be for the Chandlers to tell their story openly and for nothing to one and all which would perhaps help others avoid their terrible ordeal.

Let's not forget the Somalis now hold two more hostages, this time snatched from a South African yacht."

What do you think?

You can follow http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/blogs/1/dick-durham

Quote Originally Posted by James Bragg View Post
    Yachting Monthly's Dick Durham:

"If contracts have already been drawn up by newspapers for the human interest story of the newly-released yachting duo Paul and Rachel Chandler's 388 days in captivity, they should tread carefully.

Of course the Chandlers are in the unenviable position of being indebted to creditors who raised a reported 600,000 for their release.

But the family have stated that it 'would be irresponsible to discuss any aspect of the release process as this could encourage others to capture private individuals and demand large ransom payments.'

Good point and if they do sell their story to a newspaper, that could be the greatest incentive of all for Somali pirates to target yachtsmen.

The best way forward would be for the Chandlers to tell their story openly and for nothing to one and all which would perhaps help others avoid their terrible ordeal.

Let's not forget the Somalis now hold two more hostages, this time snatched from a South African yacht."

What do you think?

You can follow http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/blogs/1/dick-durham
    I don't think Dick Durham or any of us have any right to tell the Chandlers what to do. If I was 600k in debt and had lost a year of my life I would certainly be negotiating hard. Apart from anything else, the media will just make it up anyway. It shouldn't in any event be impossible for the Chandlers to still publish a cracking yarn without giving away the details of the process leading up to the eventual release. And let's face it - the only way YM could afford the story would be if it is was free, so maybe Dick is speaking from a company viewpoint here.

I don't think revealing all would make a lot of difference anyway. The truth of the matter is the world's navies and security forces are going to be far too busy in the coming decade to worry about a few lost yachties - we need to accept that as the global security consensus deteriorates further many areas are going to become no-sail zones for all but the most reckless or heavily armed.

Of course, the fee the Chandlers negotiate could always include the ransoming of the yachties currently captured . . . that way we get the press directly supporting Somalian pirates. There is something strangely logical about that.

- W

awol is offline Registered User

I am most unlikely to buy any publication just because it features the Chandlers' account of their ordeal, nor will I queue up to see them in panto, opening a supermarket, nor will I change my habits and watch Big Brother or Get Me Out of Here if they appear.
    I wish them well and I hope that they can return themselves to their normality and doing what they want without any hindrance but if they get involved in profiting (for themselves or the media) then they will have to be strong enough to cope with the consequences of "celebrity".

I think most people know "now" that the area is to be avoided by boat or any other mean of transport unless you are a Naval vessel.

I personally think that they should give their story if they want to, I would certainly be interested to hear what happened and for them to give their side of it. If they make money from it I have no objection either given their possible financial situation. It will be better to hear/read a good news story rather than these feckless idiots on X-Factor and the likes for once.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    I am most unlikely to buy any publication just because it features the Chandlers' account of their ordeal, nor will I queue up to see them in panto, opening a supermarket, nor will I change my habits and watch Big Brother or Get Me Out of Here if they appear.
    I wish them well and I hope that they can return themselves to their normality and doing what they want without any hindrance but if they get involved in profiting (for themselves or the media) then they will have to be strong enough to cope with the consequences of "celebrity".
    I expect that having coped with the ordeal of a year in captivity in the hellhole that is Somalia they would be strong enough to cope with a little celebrity if that is their choice.

- W

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Wether they like it or not, they are gonna be at the center of a lot of media attention...

If they try to stick their head in the sand and hope it will go away, they are making a big mistake..

They need to take control of the situation and manage it to their best advantage.

Once they are "Signed up" the rest of the media will tend to back off.... as they know they are not going to get anything worth chasing.

So, in fact my recommendation would be for them to sign a comprehensive media package which would include a TV doco, Book, and Serialisation in a national paper.

I would hold a general PC at Heathrow upon arrival home, to satisfy the immeadiate urge, and then the big deal.. probably with News LT... who could handle all of that.

Job done. Intrusion minimised. Reality faced up to.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenSails View Post
    I think most people know "now" that the area is to be avoided by boat or any other mean of transport unless you are a Naval vessel.
    Bit of a thread drift but reading about HMS Chatham which spent a week in Chatham during Armistice day and Remembrance Sunday. She returned from her duties off the coast of Somalia in July and one her successes was the manner in which she dealt with a captured pirate craft, ensuring they had no weapons after they dumped them overboard, cast adrift and sunk their two high speed ribs and left them with only sufficient fuel to return to the mainland, A satisfactory result as they did not escalate the situation by arresting and or killing the crew which could have profound effect on other hostages.

Quote Originally Posted by James Bragg View Post
    What do you think?
    - The Chandlers willingly and knowingly placed themselves in harms way.
    - By their actions they not only endangered themselves, but every yacht in the area.

I find any attempt to turn these people into celebrities or the fact that they would benefit from this thing financially, obscene and perverse in the extreme.

The sole role fit for them should be to serve as a warning to others.

Blue5 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guapa View Post
    - By their actions they not only endangered themselves, but every yacht in the area.

I find any attempt to turn these people into celebrities or the fact that they would benefit from this thing financially, obscene and perverse in the extreme.

I think from TV footage I have seen of them so far their demeanor suggests that they would not want to be celebs, far from it.

The twist here is that if they accept a book deal etc that could net them in excess of any ransome paid we perceive that Pirates will now look for soft yachties and up the stakes to include a demand for future royalties against any media interest.

They have lost so much I hope they get a deal they are happy with.

The Chandlers are damned if they do and damned if they dont,

Quote Originally Posted by Guapa View Post

Regrettably, I find myself in a similar frame of mind. Why 'regrettably'? - well the human part of me feels extreme sympathy for the ordeal that they have been through. However, I am now of the opinion that the pirates cannot help but be encouraged by the reward they have earned from their actions. They (and others) will now surely be emboldened.

For my part, I feel that the best outcome now woud be for them to slip quietly from the public eye and into obscurity so they may spend the rest of their lives in peace. Instead I think we're going to be treated o a massive publicity campaign protraying them as some kind of homecoming victim/heroes.