Default Water tank, left empty or full over winter

When putting my boat away for the winter, should I leave my boat water tank full to avoid algae growth, or empty to avoid stale water.
    The boat is stored abroad in a warm climate so freezing issues are not a problem, Any advice, as always, gratefully received.

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings

If there really is no possibility of frost, my preference would be full of plain water with an added non-toxic-to-humans biocide. In the spring, pump it all out, refill, pump it all out once again then refill for use. The biocide most often mentioned is Milton, but if that's not available where you are then whatever the locals use for sterilising drinking water or baby's bottles.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by steveghoward View Post
    When putting my boat away for the winter, should I leave my boat water tank full to avoid algae growth, or empty to avoid stale water.
    The boat is stored abroad in a warm climate so freezing issues are not a problem, Any advice, as always, gratefully received.
    Flush it all out, clean with a very mild bleach solution, flush again and leave it. When you come back to the boat do the same again. The risk of burst pipes/rust is then eliminated.

Peter

My 2p....

If its rigid then wash, rinse w milton etc then empty.
    If its a "bladder" type full with a Milton-type additive. A collapsed bladder type never dries and promotes horrible mould - all IMHO !!

I leave mine full, with bleach added (same chemical as Milton but bought in liquid form as laundry bleach). In the spring I empty them and refill with fresh water. As I never drink the water from the tanks a trace of bleach is not a problem. My reasoning is that as there is no frost risk full tanks are safe, and the bleach stops any mould. If "emptied" there would still be alittle water in them, and in the pipes, so bleach would still be needed, but the parts of the tank above water level might still grow mould after the water had dried, from airborne contamination.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Empty. In the spring add miltons and fill tanks right & leave to soak for a few hours. Pump out and refill a couple of times. It is what I do with no noticeable side affects so far .....