Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
    Ludd is offline Registered User

Default quotable quote

The Earl of Seafield is reputed to have said ,as he signed the Act of Union,
    "There's the end of an auld sang!"
    The current incumbent, having pissed the family estates away or snorted them up his nose still sits in the Lords.

He was government spokesman on forestry during Maggie's rule-----appropriate as the NE OF SCOTLAND was stripped of hardwoods in nhis youth to pay his gambling debts!

I no longer can vote in Scotland,but I'd love to see him and his ilk subject to a truly independent Scottish Government.
    Wouild the English then be happy to fund his attendance in the LORDS---he's THEIR puppet,after all!

Right, I understand now, I think .
    So we should campaign to have the the blue of the saltire removed from the British flag - which would leave an awful lot of white - best to replace the blue with the black from St Pirans cross .

As regards who really is "British" I suppose strictly speaking only the Welsh and Cornish, the rest of the English being Anglo Saxon and the Scotch being Picts?

Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by TamarMike View Post
    As regards who really is "British" I suppose strictly speaking only the Welsh and Cornish, the rest of the English being Anglo Saxon and the Scotch being Picts?
    Na, we scots are irish. We ate the picts.

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    Ha ha! That's what you might wish, but tough luck, pal, your ancestors accepted the English gold, & signed the act of union under a common monarch so you ARE British whether you personally admit it or not.

You may like to be considered Scots. but that is just a subset of British, just like the Welsh, Cornish, English et al. I simply don't understand your insistence on being inferior!
    Got it in one! These are the British Isles and the mainland is Britain. We've had to take on board the RBS and the BOS - maybe we should have let them sink, all the time you are trying to assert your independance.
    Still this is all Fred Drift, miles away from ensigns - should be relegated to the Lounge!
    'Reinstate MadFrankie'

Fascadale said:
    Scotland lost its sovereignty so many years ago that the English fear of a "loss of sovereignty to Brussels" has little meaning north of the border.

Should the English wish maintain their standoffishness and distrust of Europe then that is fine. An England free of Scotland could then become a xenophobic backwater of "warm beer and the sound of leather on willow"
    Ahh, but I am half Celt & love France & very pro-Europe. I am an extrovert so not "standoffish" but I am as tight as a Scot But perhaps you don't agree with stereotypes if they are used against you?

And the best part of this thread is when it stopped taliking crap about ensigns & started talking it about soveriegnty!
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

^
    I second that!

Tidewaiter2 is offline Registered User
    Location : Now where do we go in 2014- north to the Friesans or South to Brittany?

Wink Wrong way wround!

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefish View Post
    Right out of Sloe Gin at present, but I'll take the Laphroig on account?
    i haf ze sloe gin, Englander, hand ofver der whiskey!
    "Journos Luxury Yacht"=a hole in the water for time, money,affection,blood,sweat n tears

maxi77 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    That's odd, all the ones I visited were SOUTH of the wall. I presume you do know which way is up?

I love the way Celts can carry a grudge for over 300 years and still not deal with it! Are you descended from the Serbs by any chance?
    You don't have to go back 300 years to find actions by England that upset the Scots, the English haver been at it continuously since they let the Normans in and it hasn't stopped yet.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by maxi77 View Post
    You don't have to go back 300 years to find actions by England that upset the Scots, the English haver been at it continuously since they let the Normans in and it hasn't stopped yet.
    There's a clue there isn't there? The Normans were Vikings that had settled in France. They brought their French language & culture with them & have dominated the Celts, Saxons, Scots & Picts ever since.. And YOU call it the "Auld Alliance" FFS!

Incidentally, the Saxons & Celts didn't actually "let them in", they were knackered after running all the way up to Stamford Bridge & back (300-ish miles on foot) to knock 7 kinds of poo out of another band of Vikings. The Picts & Scots were hiding behing an old Roman wall somewhere in case they got hurt, consequently they have been suffering & whingeing ever since.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/