Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Scotty_Tradewind is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat: Portsmouth harbour, Wicormarine

Default Teak Deck replacement. GRP or teak again?

What would your rough estimate be for the cost of replacing a teak deck on a 33 foot sloop?

Is it possible/feasable and financially viable, to have a teak deck stripped off a GRP base and replace it with a GRP topping? If so at what cost?

If there was still sufficent thickness of teak deck left to recaulk and smooth out using a 'fluid gloop' to refix some of the unattached teak areas, is this feasable in the right hands or a bodge?

Is there anyone you would recommend to get either of these tasks surveyed/costed and done?

S.
    Last edited by Scotty_Tradewind; 22-11-10 at 17:50.
    You never get to where you want to go if you only travel on sunny days.

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

You could try asking Yarmouth Marine Services, if you don't mind the boat being on the IOW. They did a VERY good job redecking Indigo. Hint, Indigo just crept into five figures with a very few other little jobs thrown in. Rebuilding the deck as a GRP finish wasn't thought to be practical.

If this is for a boat you're considering buying, I wouldn't bother buying unless you can get a very substantial price allowance for re-doing the deck.
    Last edited by Twister_Ken; 22-11-10 at 17:30.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

saxonpirate is offline Registered User
    Location : Falmouth, Cornwall, UK, boat now back in Falmouth too.

I've got to declare an interest here because I'm in the trade. Is this a GRP yacht with a cosmetic deck or a wooden yacht?

The last cosmetic deck replacement I carried out was on a Rival 41. This included removing the old deck and making good, fitting new 12mm swept teak deck and gunnel capping rails. Cost 12,500 inc all materials. That was 18 months ago and the price of teak has risen approx 15% since then.

It is perfectly feasable to remove a cosmetic teak deck, and make good with epoxy. As for a GRP topping. If this is on a GRP yacht this is not necessary. There will inevitably be some damage to the substrate when removing the old decking (especially if it had been secured with epoxy) but these repairs are easily carried out with SP Epoxy and then a two-pack paint system applied.

As for your last option...repairs are not normally cost effective unless of course the teak has more than enough meat left to re-caulk and re-fasten. Unfortunately this is rarely the case with a cosmetic deck, and it's so easy to throw good money after bad.

I hope you've found this helpfull. Take a look at my website on the URL below..WHAT I DO, I've some photo's on there of a Bavaria 42 I re-decked.

Just doing this now on a 40 footer. South coast prices are sometimes quite high. Had quotes ranging form 25K to 35K. Eventually found a company in N.Wales and including trucking came well below this. Search TLC teak decking. Phone Barry for a chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    You could try asking Yarmouth Marine Services, if you don't mind the boat being on the IOW. They did a VERY good job redecking Indigo. Hint, Indigo just crept into five figures with a very few other little jobs thrown in. Rebuilding the deck as a GRP finish wasn't thought to be practical.

If this is for a boat you're considering buying, I wouldn't bother buying unless you can get a very substantial price allowance for re-doing the deck.
    Hi Ken,
    what were the reasons given for GRP or (epoxy as Saxonpirate says) for not being practical?

Quote Originally Posted by saxonpirate View Post
    It is perfectly feasable to remove a cosmetic teak deck, and make good with epoxy. As for a GRP topping. If this is on a GRP yacht this is not necessary. There will inevitably be some damage to the substrate when removing the old decking (especially if it had been secured with epoxy) but these repairs are easily carried out with SP Epoxy and then a two-pack paint system applied.
    Apologies for my ignorance....
    Can you tell me the difference between stripping the teak and doing an epoxy deck as apposed to GRP?
    S.
    Last edited by Scotty_Tradewind; 22-11-10 at 18:39.

www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_Twister View Post
    Apologies for my ignorance....
    Can you tell me the difference between stipping the teak and doing an epoxy deck as apposed to GRP?
    S.
    polyester doesnt adhere to cured polyester well, thats why epoxy is used
    I may be wrong but not always

john_morris_uk is offline Registered User

I just picked up three boards of teak - 130mm by 27 mm by 3.5 metres long.

Price inc VAT just short of 300 - ouch.

Fortunately I am not paying - but another forumite is - if he remembers to put the money into my account!
    Wishing things away is not effective.

tonijon is offline Registered User
    Location : east coast can be found most weekends at the Blackwater Sailing Club

You could also use Kebony which is an eco friendly alternative to teak (made from home grown wood treated in a furfuryl solution (a waste product from sugar refining) suppose to look like teak but more durable.
    Jeremy Rogers has started to use it on his eco contessas dont know the price but it cant be any more expensive than teak.
    Dyslexics rule K.O