Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Maxsea 10.1 Not Displaying AIS (!AIVDM) Data

Hi,

I'd call myself pretty good at setting up AIS and GPS on PCs and successfully installed my own. However I am doing an installation for a friend and havng a problem displaying AIS data on Maxsea 10.1. I'm used to installing on 10.3 and above so I through perhaps it may be a problem on 10.1. I doubt it though.

The AIS unit is an Icom MXA-5000 receiver and Maxsea is seeing the sentances ok. Baud rates and parity and wiring etc all good. The problem is just displaying them.

Anyone had experience with this set-up or can offer some sensible advice on what to look for?

Red face AIS on Maxsea 10 does not work?

Jamie,

You are presumably playing with that widely available version of this software that dropped off the back of the boat in front? I had repeated attempts with I think 10.3.2, and like you could see the data coming in. I formed the conclusion it was either not 'licensed' to display AIS or incapable, as I too repeatedly failed to get it to work.

Two thoughts you might like to follow up. There is NavMonPC which is a nice bit of software that can be downloaded, and is useful in itself for anchor watches etc. It has a good AIS function. It also supports 'virtual ports' so you can also send the data on to your chart plotter software, and is ace in a gale for telling you what the wind speed and direction is without going up aloft.

I have abandoned my fully paid up Winchart, and also Maxsea, in favour of OpenCPN, which is an open source chart plotter, supports AIS, and in my view is easier to use.

I hope this helps. Where are you now, in the UK still with Roam, or making your way eastwards?
    Have lived the dream on http://www.syfuga.co.uk

Hi John,

I am assuming that this is a kosher copy. You wouldn't catch me playing around with pirated software.

I have OpenCPN but this is for a friend and he is leaving shortly. I imagine he wants to stick with MS as this is what he is familiar with. I'll offer him that alternative but unless he starts paying me for the (hours of) time I spend helping install his gear, he can like MS or lump it

Re the original question, I will suggest that he 'buys' the latest version of MS to get round this issue, but I need to know if this is indeed the problem. I've read that other people have had the same fault with different versions of MS so it may well be the license thing to which you allude.
    Last edited by demonboy; 03-12-10 at 08:22. Reason: too many problems

Default MaxSea

MS is at version 12 when I last looked, but is quite pricey I think? So this is a very old copy.

Unless you can find someone who has made 10.3.2 work with AIS, then I would suggest you are wasting your time. It all looks as if it's there, but isn't.

Of course if its kosher, you could ask the authors!
    Have lived the dream on http://www.syfuga.co.uk

In addition to the excellent stuff below, I also run XPort

www.curioustech.net/xport.html

which is a little freeware app for porting that works for me.

Is Maxsea sensitive to port numbering?
    Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    Robert Green Ingersoll

OpenCPN is far better anyway in my opinion. Runs with both AIS and grib files.

Fullcircle - you've changed your avatar! Port numbering isn't the issue. Maxsea can see the data no probem, it's the echoing of it on the actual workspace.

Default Version

My possibly erroneous understanding is that Maxsea was not AIS capable until version 12.5

Default Maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by NOHOH View Post
    My possibly erroneous understanding is that Maxsea was not AIS capable until version 12.5
    Further to my last post, you might want to have a look at this thread on another forum..

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...0-a-39131.html

It appears they connect the AIS through the RADAR tab.

Are you doing that already?

NOHOH - it works in 10.3.5 no problem. I would be interested to know if it should work in 10.1 though.