Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Compulsory training for boaters

Has this one it reared its ugly head again? I remember some time ago that there were plans to implement some kind of formal qualification before the absolute beginner can take to boating, then it all went quiet. I had an interesting conversation today which leaves me wondering whether things are on the move again, if this guy is right we could see legislation by 2014.
    I havent heard anything recently to support it, has anyone else?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by boatmaster View Post
    Has this one it reared its ugly head again? I remember some time ago that there were plans to implement some kind of formal qualification before the absolute beginner can take to boating, then it all went quiet. I had an interesting conversation today which leaves me wondering whether things are on the move again, if this guy is right we could see legislation by 2014.
    I havent heard anything recently to support it, has anyone else?
    AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH. Make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doghousekeeper View Post
    AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH. Make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!
    Indeed!, but i can well see it happening, even if not so soon. I'm not entirely against it, i think that if the syllabus were appropriate, the average beginner will have the steep learning curve somewhat lowered and maybe it could be beneficial to other boat owners in neighbouring awkward marina berths which are tricky to get into, and may reduce some unfortunate mishaps. However, i would hate to see a situation where the final certificate is unachievable to the less confident newbie, after all we were all beginners once.

Kawasaki is offline Registered User

Not heard anything
    Can you give us a clue as to the source of this information?
    IE, was it from anyone/anwhere 'official' like?
    Or a Baroom laywer type.

My attitude is Education not Compulsion.

I reckon standards of boat handling and safety etc are now better than they were 30 years ago.
    There are more peeps at it nowadays.
    OK, we have all seen mishaps and boaters out there taking risks or mucking about on the water with what seems gay abandon and recklesness.

Considering the volume compared to years gone by, I still say people are more educated to the risks and elf an safety is permeating across the water as it were.

epervier is offline Registered User

I can see this being implemented through the back door, by not getting insurance cover without some kind of chit to say you've done a test, however the down side to this is, it's not a legal requirement to be insured, so if it gets too expensive they just won't bother with insurance, I'd love to know how many jetskiers are insured, for example.
    From what I have witnessed, in the area that I use, they've scant regard to any of the rules of the road let alone any other aspects of good seamanship.
    "It's Better to Have Memories Than Dreams"
    "blow Q, cycle main vents"

rafiki_ is offline Registered User

I can't envisage any appetite for this at Dept for Transport. They are going through a major downsizing reorg, with Ministers's on the don't intefere unless it is necessary agenda.

ricky_s is online now Registered User

Think this is just wishful thinking by Boatmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawasaki View Post
    Not heard anything
    Can you give us a clue as to the source of this information?
    IE, was it from anyone/anwhere 'official' like?
    Or a Baroom laywer type.

My attitude is Education not Compulsion.

I reckon standards of boat handling and safety etc are now better than they were 30 years ago.
    There are more peeps at it nowadays.
    OK, we have all seen mishaps and boaters out there taking risks or mucking about on the water with what seems gay abandon and recklesness.

Considering the volume compared to years gone by, I still say people are more educated to the risks and elf an safety is permeating across the water as it were.
    No i dont think its official, it could well be just rumour. but i do remember some time ago there was talk of a similar thing. I'm as curious as the next person as to whether there is any foundation in it or not.

Default RICKY S - wishful thinking ?!

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_s View Post
    Think this is just wishful thinking by Boatmaster.
    Why would that be wishful thinking on my part and what do i have to gain from any legislation of this kind ? to reiterate i heard a rumour and was asking the forum, NOT TELLING IT. I'm not asking for it to happen, neither would i lose sleep if it did.

I wish people would play nicely without the need for a constant dig at people who raise a simple question, i thought the point of this forum was give and recieve advice and help, I cant find the bit in the rules that says you need to be insulting!

ricky_s is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by boatmaster View Post
    Why would that be wishful thinking on my part and what do i have to gain from any legislation of this kind ? to reiterate i heard a rumour and was asking the forum, NOT TELLING IT. I'm not asking for it to happen, neither would i lose sleep if it did.

I wish people would play nicely without the need for a constant dig at people who raise a simple question, i thought the point of this forum was give and recieve advice and help, I cant find the bit in the rules that says you need to be insulting!
    Apologies if you think that is insulting.