Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Default boiling cans - am I going to die

for many years I have been cooking my meals by placing two unopened cans on their side in a saucepan of water and bringing it slowly to the boil in a covered steel saucepan

I then let it simmer for a short period - let it cool

I then remove the cans and once they are hand hold hot I open them

I have been censured on scuttlebutt for saying that this is what I do.

I would love to know -

hopefully from some-one who knows

how likely is it that the contents of the cans will get so hot that it starts to boil?

then explode the can in such a way that it sends shards of tin can, shattered bits of suacepan and boiling hot chicken currey acorss my cabin resulting the demise or injury of the head chef.

is this more dangerous than sailing on a calm day without a life jacket - or walking on a slippery pontoon.

being an engineer and physist I had assumed that the tin would be strong enough to cope with the expansion of the food - I had also assumed that the chicken curry would be unlikely to boil before the water

and that if the can did go it would at worst burst a seam and then fill my sealed suacepan with wet curry sauce.

depsite many hundreds of such meals I have so far failed to split any cans at all.

Am I utterly wrong

am I going to die?

Is this more dangerous than bullriding

Dylan

PS

have moved the film of the technique from the vlog section of my website to the front page

at the bottom

if its slow to load....its friday night afterall... then start the films... pause them and they will buffer.

please do not go thinking that the short two minute film is in anyway indicative of the rest of the 100 plus odd films now available there.

It is far more exciting and than anything I have ever done

....apparently

just to save you any nervousness - no-one was injured in the making of this film

Its here

www.keepturningleft.co.uk

there are three other films on the front page - about the Alde, Ore and Butley - much more representative of KTL
    Last edited by dylanwinter; 11-12-10 at 09:36.

Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by dylanwinter View Post
    for many years I have been cooking my meals by placing two unopened cans on their side in a saucepan of water and bringing it slowly to the boil in a covered steel saucepan

I then let it simmer for a short period - let it cool

I then remove the cans and once they are hand hold hot I open them...

Am I utterly wrong

am I going to die?
    No you are not. The only significant risk is that you open the tin while the contents are still under significant pressure as a result of greater thermal expansion of the contents than of the can. As long as you avoid an eye full of hot oxtail soup you'll be fine.

There is even some food sold to be heated as you described.

VicS is offline Registered User

Provided you are heating them in a pan of boiling water I cannot see there is any problem. If you let the pan boil dry on the other hand !!!!!!!!

There are products on the market that are intended to be heated in this way
    For example:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en...w=1280&bih=909

Bugger beaten by a rat's whisker
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

nimbusgb is offline Registered User

Keep the can below 260 F and you should be fine.
    For Sale by Owner. 35000 http://cariad.imolesworth.info

Lady Campanula is offline Registered User
    Location : Tottington Hall, near Bury, in the Duchy of Lancaster

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Bugger beaten by a rat's whisker
    Now, is that sadism or masochism? Do tell!

Sounds like you have more experience than anyone one here to say wether it is safe or not......

So far for you, yes!

Just tell all the H&S brown nosers to bugger off and find a child with a conker or soemthing
    www.cobraseawolf.webs.com - Cobra and Seawolf Owners Site

Fantasie 19 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dylanwinter View Post

Am I utterly wrong

am I going to die?
    No - my missus has been making banoffee pie by boiling cans of condensed milk in such a manner for years - never had a can malfunction yet...
    Never knowingly undersailed...
    http://hurley20sparrow.blogspot.com/

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Campanula View Post
    Now, is that sadism or masochism? Do tell!

Should have said gnat's whisker anyway of course. Dunno about sadism or masochism. Parapraxis I think
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

Vara is offline Registered User

Standard military procedure, although it's a bit wimpy to let them cool down before handling and eating.

Should be juggled between gloved hands while wielding can-spanner, it is also traditional to use the hot water for shaving and washing afterwards (this is made easier as compo tins don't have labels).
    Last edited by Vara; 09-12-10 at 16:06.
    Formerly known as colmce.
    http://www.seafieldfarmcottages.co.uk

SAMYL is offline Registered User

If you are boiling a closed can in water then the pressure inside it will increase so its boiling point will also increase. Assuming the liquid in the can is water based it therefore cannot boil in the can if the outside water is boiling, however if you steam the can (ie hotter than boiling water) then you should hide behind a bulkhead.

Any increase in pressure in the can should be contained by the can provided that :-
    1. there is no air in the can and,
    2. the liquid in the can does not have a boiling point much lower than water, ie something like alcohol.

A hot can when opened will squirt a little out so cover it with a cloth or whatever to protect yourself.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast