Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Tidewaiter2 is offline Registered User
    Location : Now will we actually get out of the Solent in 2014 the way this season is going.

Thumbs up Been there, done that- remember meat and veg on a tommy cooker???

Quote Originally Posted by Vara View Post
    Standard military procedure, although it's a bit wimpy to let them cool down before handling and eating.

Should be juggled between gloved hands while wielding can-spanner, it is also traditional to use the hot water for shaving and washing afterwards (this is made easier as compo tins don't have labels).
    Still here 40+ years later, and a lot of the even older farts i was dining with earlier tonight!

Dougie celebrated his 87th tonight, despite Jerry, and UK plc for the last 70 years!
    Dad only did 85, fortnight+ short of his Regt no at 86.

Here's a glass to them all, not much fun in the 20's and30's, a sh@@y War, 50's, then the 60's were too late for most ordinary working blokes and women.
    There aren't many like them now.
    "Journos Luxury Yacht"=a hole in the water for time, money,affection,blood,sweat n tears

Location : Now will we actually get out of the Solent in 2014 the way this season is going.

Talking Blimey, White Scout Car????

Quote Originally Posted by Cornishmuttley View Post
    'scuse me while I swing the light, but in the good old days when I was driving a mark 1 (petrol engined) Armoured Personnel Carrier it was usual for the crew to cook with electric cookers. By the time we arrived at our destination there was often none left for me! (yes I know miserable lot). I therefore took to lining the space between the exhaust pipe and the side with cans of food of all varieties. Steak and Kidney with pastry was my favourite. Sometimes these would be heated and cooled over days and not once was there a problem, so long as you opened the can wearing gloves.
    Has anyone tried that afloat?
    Or M3 Half Track??
    Which war, ROman , as the mercenary hoplite said???
    "Journos Luxury Yacht"=a hole in the water for time, money,affection,blood,sweat n tears

Talking Bless you Dylan, wot a terrific thread- i'm 19 again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dylanwinter View Post
    so just over a welly

there are 650 people aboard already

But the slug is a bit like a tardis

room for more

Dylan
    SWMBO says I must go to bed as have to play at being a flag officer tomorrow night- not read all the posts- shooting from hip/uzi on auto- looking fwd to Sunday night and rest of thread- wot a can of worms u started to boil- well done, lad!

As a creaked out Wayfarer cruiser and other things, this and Hotcan moments, and MRE lukewarms all remind me trhat a solid fuel cooker on a moderately fireproof base and a meat & 2 veg or bacon can cannot be beaten- nowadays it's MRE muesli and ciabatta, with olives and a drizzled jus???
    please tell me i'm wrong??http://www.ybw.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

Default Right on Fergus and Good night

Quote Originally Posted by FergusM View Post
    Great idea, boiling cans.

I also use disposable paper plates on top of plastic plates. The plastic plate provides rigidity, and the paper plates go right in the bin. I only have to wash the plastic spork, with a little of the hot water for tea.
    On the Waffie and then on the Redfox, we did that-made life a lot easier when freshwater at a premium. Now, with 100g tanks, all washing under running water sometimes- s'not the same.
    I get heartsick this time o'night for real sailing-'but the water is wide, i cannot get o'er, nor can i afford SWMBO's wings to fly...so i'm stuck with 10.82 metres,... oh, love is gentle and love is kind.... there is a ship and she sails the sea, loaded deep as deep as deep can be...'

Night all, bot and half of red, 3 pints of guiness, 'Absent Friends', and good company, leave you a bit maudlin

john_morris_uk is offline Registered User
    Location : Home near Exeter, work in Hampshire, boat in Plymouth

Quote Originally Posted by FergusM View Post
    Great idea, boiling cans.

I also use disposable paper plates on top of plastic plates. The plastic plate provides rigidity, and the paper plates go right in the bin. I only have to wash the plastic spork, with a little of the hot water for tea.
    With the greatest respect to Ferguson I must try and bookmark this for whenever questions are asked on these forums about 'how I can get my wife/girlfriend to come sailing more often. With domestic habits like these how could any woman resist?
    Wishing things away is not effective.

Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    With the greatest respect to Ferguson I must try and bookmark this for whenever questions are asked on these forums about 'how I can get my wife/girlfriend to come sailing more often. With domestic habits like these how could any woman resist?
    Ubergeekian's Breakfast Tip Number 1: You can eat Kelloggs multipack cereals straight from their little boxes. Open the box, open the inner wrapper, pour in milk, eat, chuck.

Default fusion food

Quote Originally Posted by salinia View Post
    For those who remember my last post, you will recall that it is my intention to post a video of an ORIGO 3000 in full flow.

I have found Dylans death defying expierience with a can of curry most interesting. I will incorporate a can of rice pudding into my ORIGO video production in order to heighten the suspense and perhaps make an otherwise boring sad video into a blockbuster. (ORIGO now ordered)
    you have just replicated fusion food on a boat

the bringing together of new ideas

I think there could be a market for a pan specially designed boiling cans

Dylan

prv is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeekian View Post
    Ubergeekian's Breakfast Tip Number 1: You can eat Kelloggs multipack cereals straight from their little boxes. Open the box, open the inner wrapper, pour in milk, eat, chuck.
    In the US they have perforations on the side as well as the top, so you can do this with the box lying down and hence slightly more bowl-like.

Pete

Default yachting mags

could you ever imagine a member of staff on any of the yachting magazines in the UK covering stuff like this

eating straight out of the ceral packet

tinned haggis

paper plates on plastic ones

which yacht manufacturer would be prepared to take a full page advert up against an artical that included this sort of information.

Incredible stuff chaps

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewaiter2 View Post
    On the Waffie and then on the Redfox, we did that-made life a lot easier when freshwater at a premium. Now, with 100g tanks, all washing under running water sometimes- s'not the same.
    I get heartsick this time o'night for real sailing-'but the water is wide, i cannot get o'er, nor can i afford SWMBO's wings to fly...so i'm stuck with 10.82 metres,... oh, love is gentle and love is kind.... there is a ship and she sails the sea, loaded deep as deep as deep can be...'

Night all, bot and half of red, 3 pints of guiness, 'Absent Friends', and good company, leave you a bit maudlin
    Love it!
    Stu

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast