Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Wight Dawn is offline Registered User

It is the way I always did it when I was in the Scouts. We also removed the labels and scraped the glue off the can so that we could make tea with the water. It did make using the cans interesting as there was always the chance you would get Ambrosia rice with your mince or beans with your plum duff. Very few of us are dead. And those that are died of natural causes, not bean-related.
    Ken

nedmin is offline Registered User

Shall we start a Hairy Boaters kitchen? Might be some money in it,or even Hairy Floaters.

For some reason Hairy Floaters doesn't sound very appetising!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Campanula View Post
    Now, is that sadism or masochism? Do tell!
    The thought of VicS bending over whilst someone beats him with a rats whisker!!!!!!
    Stu

Why? Would you use less fuel if you opened the can and put the contents in the pan. or are you trying to save on the washing up.

To save on washing place dishes into string bag and place overboard for the night. Fishes do all the work.

I always though that things like stew were put into cans at the factory raw and the cans were heated to cook the product thus ensuring no possibility of contamination / going bad. Anyone know if this is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    I always though that things like stew were put into cans at the factory raw and the cans were heated to cook the product thus ensuring no possibility of contamination / going bad. Anyone know if this is correct?
    There used to be a factory near where I lived (Wilsons foods) made all sorts of cans for the military and supermarkets. Mince, Stew meatballs etc. Thats how they did it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasie 19 View Post
    No - my missus has been making banoffee pie by boiling cans of condensed milk in such a manner for years - never had a can malfunction yet...

Tell her she can now buy it already carmalised, no near for all that boiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vara View Post
    Standard military procedure, although it's a bit wimpy to let them cool down before handling and eating.

Should be juggled between gloved hands while wielding can-spanner, it is also traditional to use the hot water for shaving and washing afterwards (this is made easier as compo tins don't have labels).
    Correct answer. We were told by the old and bold to give the can a bash to put a dent in and if the dent then popped out it was time to remove from the water, and / or run LF.
    They don't like it up 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by nedmin View Post
    Shall we start a Hairy Boaters kitchen? Might be some money in it,or even Hairy Floaters.
    Or " Hairy Pie"------ I know
    Now Promoted to Captain Clyst. My thanks are extended to Lazy Kipper .

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast