jeffersgb is offline Registered User

Default Westerbeke 28hp engine in a 23ft Virgo Voyager

I have seen a Virgo Voyager for sale that's fitted with a Westerbeke 28hp engine.Is this a bit too overpowered for a 23ft boat?

VicS is offline Registered User

Its a fair bit of power for 23 ft.

I think I would want to give it a careful test to see how it handles. You may find that it will require a gentle hand on the throttle or the prop may simply "lose its grip" and cavitate.

Much I suspect will depend on how well the boat, engine and prop have been matched to each other.

sarabande is offline Registered User

something around 8 hp will drive that at hull max.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Yes, far too powerful. Problems are likely to be too much power and speed at tickover and inability to reach full revs within speed range of boat. A 14hp would be more than enough.

prv is online now Registered User

Not to mention potentially buggering up the fore and aft trim. KS has a detectable stern-down attitude from uprating a 1GM10 to a 2GM20 - go from 8hp to 28 and the effect could be pronounced.

Pete

It sounds like the Virgo's owner was of the opinion that a bit too much power is better than too little - but as everybody else notes above, that is way too much power for what is needed in a hull of this size.

I know of a CSY 44 cruising yacht - ok, fairly heavy, perhaps 15 tonnes, 44' on deck - and her owner retro-fitted her with a 220 hp Cummins..... I think he was convinced (before he put the engine in) that he would be able to do 15 knots with her.......

And this wee Westerly takes the biscuit in the powering game - she did used to be a Westerly 22 sailing cruiser, and still has her stubby bilge keels, but her owner was sure that she could plane if he put enough power on the back...... she now has fixed trim tabs added (since this photo) to fill in the triangle between hull and bracket on each side, to try and give her a bit more lift, but the engine is still a huge over kill!
    A 15 hp outboard would be more than enough to get her up to hull speed, never mind a 115 hp!

Bajansailor;
    Only in America . . . . does it have underwater lights fitted too?
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

jeffersgb is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone. There's far too much power for my needs. I'll cross it off my list.