Smile Square rigger sailing for beginners

Adults can sail Royalist for two individual taster weekends, one in May (Gosport to Gosport)and one in September (Falmouth to Gosport), all the funds go to paying for teenagers to go sailing on the ship, on trips like the Tall Ships Race. This is a brilliant opportunity to experience sailing a small square rigged vessel, in very good company. Royalist is a brig, built in 1971 and purpose built to be operated by sea cadets, we cannot promise good weather, but you will be well fed. For reasons, I do not understand links do not always work, so just look for square rigger club on the wonder web and go to the charter enquiry page. The whole purpose is to have fun, learn something new and get kids sailing, no previous boating experience or sailing qualifications are required and you only climb the rigging if you want to. Happy sailing.

Madhatter is offline Registered User

prv is online now Registered User

While we're at it, a plug for another square rig opportunity:

http://www.tallships.org is the Tall Ships Youth Trust, ex Sail Training Association. During school term times, when it's harder to fill the ship with young people, they offer voyages for adults to help subsidise their main activities. It's a working passage - at some point it will be your turn to wash up or to clean the heads, and showing up for your watch at 4am is not optional - but they do some proper voyages on a proper square-rigged ship. This year I have sailed Azores - Southampton and Southampton - Lisbon. There will be another Azores - UK voyage next spring. They also do shorter, more coastal trips, although for me the appeal is being on a sailing ship at sea for a week or ten days at a time.

No experience is necessary, all ages welcome.

(They also have some yachts these days, but tbh I can't see the appeal of these to someone who already sails)

Pete