Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Norman_E View Post
    Not true, decks are often foam sandwich or balsa cored, and many boats have foam sandwich above the waterline, but most AWBs by Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria et al are plain and simple fibreglass layup below the waterline.
    True, my 5 year old Jeanneau 35 is old fashioned plain layup. Also, my deck is a one piece low pressure grp injection moulding, very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    True, my 5 year old Jeanneau 35 is old fashioned plain layup. Also, my deck is a one piece low pressure grp injection moulding, very impressive.
    Are you sure? I know for sure that Dufour Classic Dufour Grand Large and Bavaria Cruisers are foam sandwich. I do not see how it could be just fiberglass it just would not be strong enough! I thought that every decent boat had foam sandwich where the difference across builders was only in the foam composition.

It's getting more tempting by the day. My eyesight has gone downhill again over the last year so might have to invest in one of those illuminated magnifiers on a stand. One remaining uncertainty, mentioned earlier, is how performance would be affected by encapsulated keel - although why should this be different from a bolt-on.

Quote Originally Posted by haydude View Post
    Are you sure? I know for sure that Dufour Classic Dufour Grand Large and Bavaria Cruisers are foam sandwich. I do not see how it could be just fiberglass it just would not be strong enough! I thought that every decent boat had foam sandwich where teh difference across makes was only in the foam composition.
    Those boats may have foam sandwich construction, but where? The Dufour Grand Large range have a balsa or foam cored deck, but are just described as having an "Inner moulded hull bottom, structural grid laminated to the hull." No mention of any foam in the hull, though an inner moulding may obstruct fitting ultrasonic anti-fouling, unless there are places where you can access the actual hull moulding. The latest Bavaria yachts also appear to feature an inner hull moulding, but I can find no references to foam cores below the waterline. Most other makes rely on the tried and tested method of making a hull moulding into which is laminated a structural grid. My own 12year old Jeanneau has that system, and access to the inside of the hull can be had over most of its area.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by haydude View Post
    Are you sure? I know for sure that Dufour Classic Dufour Grand Large and Bavaria Cruisers are foam sandwich. I do not see how it could be just fiberglass it just would not be strong enough! I thought that every decent boat had foam sandwich where the difference across builders was only in the foam composition.
    I have driiled holes everywhere. I am sure.

Default Both units now complete and tested

The photo shows one unit temporarily connected to a 12 volt supply from a jump starter. Both have been tested this way. The cable supplied by Jaycar has been left uncut, and will be reduced to correct length once I have positioned the transducer and driver in the boat.

Working on immortality - One day at a time.

That looks really good Norman. Keep up the photos into the installation stage and beyond.

How are you planning to fix the mounting nut to the hull and do you have to put some oil in it to get a seal between the transducer face and hull? Again excellent article really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by bitman View Post
    the only thing i can say is that we might have a possible ultrasonic antifouling system for the price of hailing out + jetwash

you did just fine of building yours with great pictures.

i still do play with electronics as i'm a freelance sound engineer and also like modifiying things (like mod a scanner to make it an ais receiver). even still have my 40mhz hameg scope!

a shame that i couldn't be more helpfull when you started building yours as i was off this forum over christmas / new year.
    Ooh, how do you make an AIS thingy out of a scanner please? I know that it transmits on channel 70? 72? so if you receive the burst of data, what happens then?
    Stu

this is the box;

Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast