Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Charging Battery from Suitcase Generator

Having only an outboard with limited DC output, I want to charge my domestic battery (190Ah) from a suitcase generator. I'm looking at a kipor IG1000 with 1kvA output. Would I be better off charging direct from the DC output (quoted as 5 Amps - presume it is for charging....?), or using a mains charger. I'm expecting the latter as the DC output would probably take days.

What portable battery charger would you recommend? I was looking at a Ring 16Amp Smartcharger but I can't work out what the AC load within the kipor's capacity would be and I want to optimise my generator running time so my little 4Amp charger is going to have to go. Has anyone had there own experience to enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by JustMelfort View Post
    Having only an outboard with limited DC output, I want to charge my domestic battery (190Ah) from a suitcase generator. I'm looking at a kipor IG1000 with 1kvA output. Would I be better off charging direct from the DC output (quoted as 5 Amps - presume it is for charging....?), or using a mains charger. I'm expecting the latter as the DC output would probably take days.

What portable battery charger would you recommend? I was looking at a Ring 16Amp Smartcharger but I can't work out what the AC load within the kipor's capacity would be and I want to optimise my generator running time so my little 4Amp charger is going to have to go. Has anyone had there own experience to enlighten me?
    sounds good, you have it all worked out, you cant charge from the 12v supply really, takes for ever.

the load on the generator (using your 16amp example) is (roughly) 14volts x 16amp = 224watts, the genny will do 1000watts (all this is theortical max) so you are well inside for what what you need.

i did have a 1kw suitcase previously, connected to a Sterling 30amp charger, worked like a charm, and genny wasnt screaming either, they also do an IG770 now i believe which is very small and would do.

Many thanks for the quick reply - now to find a charger........

VicS is offline Registered User

According to the http://www.kiporguy.com/PDF%20downlo...ion_manual.pdf the 12 volt output from the IG1000 is intended specifically for battery charging and can deliver 8.3 amps . However a spec I read elsewhere says 5 amps!

The Ring Smart Charger is not a bad bit of kit ... (I have the 8 amp one) .. and gives multi-stage charging (+ reconditioning) if that is what you want combined with a max output of 16amps.

The only question I have is whether or not the output from the Kipor is suitable for the Ring charger.
    Last edited by VicS; 03-01-11 at 22:37.
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

I have a cheap chinese suitcase 1000w generator for sale with a leaky fuel switch. You would be welcome to try it if your not to far away.
    See for sale post
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258887

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    According to the http://www.kiporguy.com/PDF%20downlo...ion_manual.pdf the 12 volt output from the IG1000 is intended specifically for battery charging and can deliver 8.3 amps . However a spec I read elsewhere says 5 amps!

The Ring Smart Charger is not a bad bit of kit ... (I have the 8 amp one) .. and gives multi-stage charging (+ reconditioning) if that is what you want combined with a max output of 16amps.

The only question I have is whether or not the output from the Kipor is suitable for the Ring charger.
    I am facing the same situation, have had a new 40 amp Sterling charger down the chimney this year to replace my long suffering Dolphin 20amp charger. My simple mind says that the most important thing to compare like for like is watts. So if we say that the Sterling is producing 40 amps at 14.6 volts that gives 584 watts, OK I know that we should take in to account inefficiencies BUT I reckon (hope!) my SDMO genny, which outputs 900 watts continuously will be able to cope and maybe power my tele as well!
    Stu

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    I am facing the same situation, have had a new 40 amp Sterling charger down the chimney this year to replace my long suffering Dolphin 20amp charger. My simple mind says that the most important thing to compare like for like is watts. So if we say that the Sterling is producing 40 amps at 14.6 volts that gives 584 watts, OK I know that we should take in to account inefficiencies BUT I reckon (hope!) my SDMO genny, which outputs 900 watts continuously will be able to cope and maybe power my tele as well!
    Stu
    I'd think so too but once we get into power and AC and power factors and the like I'm lost.
    in the above discussion I was wondering about the the waveform output by the Kipor
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

I have that exact set up a Kipor 1000 and the 16 amp ring charger and am impressed with both to varying degrees.

Kipor starts first time, great on fuel, has been reliable so far. Bad points are bit noisy (dont believe the db specs from china think they are made up, someone beside me had a honda and I was very jealous at the noise level)
    The choke lever will def break unless treated very gently.

The ring charger is excellent and works perfectly with the Genny however I am on to my third now in about a year, first one died after 6 months then replacement one didnt work out of the box so was returned. Maybe bad luck not sure.

DogWatch Guest

If you're the chap ahead of me on the trot, be aware... if you run your genny at 0700 on a Sunday morning again it might just bounce off your aft deck and into the drink while you are sitting pretty all quiet in your forward saloon. Of course it must help that the exhaust is pointing away from your saloon and probably seems quiet, not so for the poor muggins downwind of your cheap kaboto multi DB cheapo genny.

Odd, I don't feel better after that... anyway, bouncy bouncy bouncy splosh!

VicS has raised a valid point about waveform. It's all Chinese to me like the generators but.......I have 3 gennies made in various parts of the world, at least one of which is an expensive UK make, and NONE of them make my charger work.

At the time I was told on here about waveform characteristics which I have to say might also have been Chinese as I only understood it to be a techie reason as to why the charger performed perfectly well in a wall socket but would not operate from a generator.
    I used to think wives and boats were a financial drain on one's resources, but that was before the kids became teenagers.