Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    thomd is offline Registered User

Default Advice on 30-35ft yacht for Circumnavigation

I am in the early stages of planning a circumnavigation via Panama and Cape of Good Hope and aiming to depart the UK in 2013. I am trying to short list suitable yachts which would fit my budget.

I would be grateful for recommendations from forum members as to which candidates they would recommend based on following.

- Length - 30 to 35 feet
    - Budget approx 35k plus 10k for upgrades
    - Will be living aboard for 2 to 3 years
    - Sailing shorthanded and possibly single handed

The yachts I am currently considering are Contessa 32 (proven seaboat but limited accommodation), Rival 32 or 34, Rustler 31, Nicholson 31.

I would value any views on above yachts for a circumnavigation or any other models I should consider.

Thanks in advance!

snooks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thomd View Post
    The yachts I am currently considering are Contessa 32 (proven seaboat but limited accommodation),
    Consider a Sadler 32 then, proven sea boat with better accommodation

Why else would the David Sadler, the designer of both boats cruise the med on a Sadler 32, and not a Contessa 32?

Well in budget and there are enough to be able to pick and choose the one you want.

He did get buy Contest 42 to go around the world in though
    Yachting photographer http://grahamsnook.com/news
    (and boat tester)

Single handed, couple or family?

Rival 34 would be good.

or how about this...

http://www.ancasta.com/BoatInformati...x?BoatId=25002

Aries self steering fitted as well.

thomd is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    Single handed, couple or family?
    Double handed if I can persuade my girlfriend to come, single handed if not :-)

robmcg is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Rival 34 would be good.

or how about this...

http://www.ancasta.com/BoatInformati...x?BoatId=25002

Aries self steering fitted as well.
    Would second the Nicholson 35. Most have done galactic mileage mainly offshore. Good account of buying one and sailing it from the UK to Australia in the book Greenwich to the Dateline by Rory and Sandra Burke. Suggest you track down a copy as it makes excellent reading for bluewater prep. They also looked at the Rival 34 and Nicholson 31 but thought them a bit small, ditto the Contessa 32 although John Kretchemer sailed one around the Horn on a delivery trip so no doubting their ability at sea. It'll be all the widgets that cost the money so finding a boat with self steering in the price would be a real bonus. Look for good water tankage too!!
    Anyone seen Grabthar's hammer?

Robin is offline Registered User

Westerly 33 centre cockpit ketch or sloop or later aft cockpit Discus version of same hull. Many have done full RTW including Dodo's Delight (Discus) with various crews of disadvantaged kids on board and including going via Cape Horn.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

sarabande is online now Registered User

Rival 34 or 36 . Some available in varying stages of perfection. Within your budget. Highly supportive Owners Association.

Recommended that you don't sail near the Seychelles though
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Having just gone through the exercise of looking and buying a long distance cruising yacht suitable for two, so esentially single handed this is the way I looked at things.

I started with the current (now previous) boat a Sadler 32. A very good sea boat as has been mentioned and at the risk of offending Contessa 32 owners a much better boat for cruising. But the accommodation was still too small. OK for 2-3 weeks away but remember you willl be living on board. There were some irritating features, as an example sitting up in the forepeak bunk you hit your head on the deckhead! We use the forepeak as our 'bedroom' in port or at anchor so the things you do at home you may want to replicate on board (like tea in bed and read your book).

For longer passages you need stowage and tankage. Volume is the key as is size. Bigger boats hold more and travel faster so it is 'win-win'. You need to be able to live above and below decks so space for a cockpit table and a cockpit cover/tent are essential. Increasing the tankage in the Sadler would have reduced the stowage. Space for a fridge and a decent galley one that works at sea and in harbour. A deep safe and comfortable cockpit. The ability to sail in light and heavy airs, also downwind. Something the Sadler/Contessa and all of similar shaped hulls don't do very well. For your proposed circumnavigation it is almost all 'off the wind'.

As for boats to consider; Moody 33 - have gone long distances even circumnavigated, Angus Primrose raced to 4th in the AZAB in his. Moody 34 although may be outside your budget.

Warrior 35/Challenger 35 solid boats but a bit slow.

Westerly 31/33/35/36 foot models some solid yachts with serious cruising potential some really voluminous examples.

Colvic countess 33/35?

I fear your 10K refurbishment budget may be a bit light. Windvane steering will set you back 3.5K, Solar panels, wind turbine 2K, liferaft 1k, EPIRB & long range communications 2-3K, re rig & new furler (unless you are lucky) 2-3K, plus all the other new kit spares new sails etc the list goes on and on!

We bought a Westerly Corsair 36 foot but a bit over your budget. Good luck!

Another option is a Vancouver 32, not sure about the price though.