Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Tim Lee is offline Registered User

S&S 34 gets good reports for this type of trip/budget I believe - if you can find one

<< Angus Primrose raced to 4th in the AZAB in his>>

Unfortunately he also died on it in a storm.

Consider an Etap 32 or 35. There's something very comforting about a boat which would not sink even if it were cut in two.

Quote Originally Posted by rickym View Post
    Having just gone through the exercise of looking and buying a long distance cruising yacht suitable for two, so esentially single handed this is the way I looked at things.

I started with the current (now previous) boat a Sadler 32. A very good sea boat as has been mentioned and at the risk of offending Contessa 32 owners a much better boat for cruising. But the accommodation was still too small.

Quite, the accommodation on a Sadler 32 is little different to the Contessa and it is slower. Tankage is better but still marginal, as you say.
    Better to stick with something with a solid offshore record for the proposed trip

Skatt is offline Registered User

Default Saltram 31

If you can find one. Only 9 31's were built. Fantastic cruising boats.
    http://www.saltram-owners-club.net/

Ludd is offline Registered User

Nab/Rasmus 35 (if you can find one for sale) . I' d happily go anywhere in mine---but going rtw is too much hassle at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by thomd View Post
    The yachts I am currently considering are Contessa 32 (proven seaboat but limited accommodation), Rival 32 or 34, Rustler 31, Nicholson 31.

!
    If you talk to people who have done what you dream of doing, the conversation invariably revolves round issues such as storage space and maintenance. You spend more time at anchor than at sea. You need plenty of water tankage and lots of diesel plus a good reliable engine.

Personally I would go for a Prout 35 cat or maybe a 33. Both have circumnavigated in large numbers, are safe, and give you the space you need and the comfort both at sea and at anchor.

I wouldnt dream of a Contessa 32 - way too small inside. But there is a theme to your list. You've been persuaded by the " buy a heavy old long keeler" fanatics who are convinced that nothing decent has been built since the 60s. Nonsense of course.

daveyw is offline Registered User

This young family are doing it in a 27'

http://translate.google.com/translat...se&sl=sv&tl=en

Lots of good suggestions. Here's ahttp://www.jryachts.com/yachtbrokeragecon32kay.html, fitted out for bluewater with Hydrovane, wind generator, Epirb and lots of offshore safety kit.

I crossed the Atlantic in company with one and it sailed the pants of most of us bigger yachts.

Westerlys and Moodys will also fit the bill well.

Fair winds to you.
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

Westsail 32 one for sale on Boatshed

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast