Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gear Puller for prop removal - Volvo Penta 120s

At ease ! Gather round !!

I will be replacing the anode on a Volvo Penta 120s saildrive in the near future and would like to have everything ready before lift out. I read a post here which mentioned for propeller removal an automotive Gear Puller could be used instead of a dedicated Propeller Puller. Can anybody tell me what size Gear Puller I would need ? Alternatively can somebody tell me the external diameter of the prop (standard 2 blade non folding ) at the "Blade Root", please ?

Many thanks in advance.

Carry on !

PCUK is offline Registered User

You shouldn't need a puller for a Saildrive prop' as it is a splined shaft and not a taper fitting.

PCUK is right ... and wrong. I couldn't get mine off this year without a puller ... the dim. is 95mm
    Any spooling mist aches are the fool of me iPid

john_morris_uk is online now Registered User
    Location : Home near Exeter, work in Hampshire, boat in Plymouth

One of the frustations of not having a clue from someones profile as to even what part of the country they or their boat is in means that one can't offer to lend them a puller for this quick and easy job....
    Wishing things away is not effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Bav34 View Post
    PCUK is right ... and wrong. I couldn't get mine off this year without a puller ... the dim. is 95mm
    My saildrive prop has always pulled off without any tools or issues. It must be greased every year and mine is.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

galadriel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bav34 View Post
    See, thats the problem with Bavaria's, very poor quality sail drives! Mine comes off easy, no puller needed.
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

Ah, but my hull hasn‘t gone mushy ... yet
    Any spooling mist aches are the fool of me iPid

One year my Radice folding propeller wouldn't come off my 120S saildrive so a friend may me a puller. It's basically a bolt with a threaded thick plate at right angles. The plate will just fit inside the propeller then the blade pivot bolts are replaced and the bolt screwed in. This pulls the plate outwards. See picture (as soon as the moderators have approved it!).

Edit: I've just realised that my post only applies to folding propellers and not the satndard Volvo fixed two bladed.
    Last edited by Dipper; 17-01-11 at 21:34. Reason: Didn't read the post properly - Doh!

PeterGibbs is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    You shouldn't need a puller for a Saildrive prop' as it is a splined shaft and not a taper fitting.
    This is correct.

You need a hex spanner to remove the bolt through the cone; bring along a piece of piping to give yourself extra leverage. Wedge the prop to immobilise it using a piece of wood against the bottom of the boat. Take care - Do not let the hex spanner knurl the bolt otherwise you are in trouble - dig out crustacea etc to allow the hex spanner max contact surface!

You need a heavy duty screwdriver to put through the cone to turn it off.

The prop will slide off on its splines. Use no force in doing this.

The annular anode is removed with a large phillips screwdriver (deep cut facets) - again, do not allow these two screws to be wrecked during removal - more trouble for you!

An impact screwdriver can be used but carefully otherwise the bearings in the base of the 120 housing will be damaged!

This is the worst scenario - just be prepared and all will go smoothly, even if a little slowly!

PWG

If you do round off the hex bolt - don't panic - you can remove 1/2" of the cone and then use a stud extractor or grips to remove the bolt - you can then replace the bolt with a shorter normal bolt and washer ...

I've posted about this before ...

Oh - and my prop came off easily - no need for a puller ...