Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Shearwater is offline Registered User
    Location : Ampolla, a beautiful anchorage beside the delta of the R. Ebro 80 nm approx downhill from BCN.

Default what's in your first aid kit?

Having just heard of a chap accidently slashing his leg with a super sharp filleting knife - but fortunately having a proper first aid kit with field dressings and steri-strips (altho' close to passing out by the time he got to shore). I wondered what I'd do in a similar situation and found my kit very wanting. So before I decide to buy a load of stuff that never gets used....what do you have and what would you not do without?

Also got lots of sterilised 'wadding' and surgical tape for a field dressing equivalent, along with a pair of surgical scissors, the sort you can cut clothing off with without cutting the casualty.... steri strips, lots of plasters, bandages for slings, hot and cold compress packs, tweezers, sterilised needle and a small torch (a suggestion from a friend.... have it to hand for when you need it)...

Ours also contains paracetamol, and when we finally get away long term cruising, i'll look to add some legally allowable pain killers, plus an emergency dental kit.

ukmctc is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    Also got lots of sterilised 'wadding' and surgical tape for a field dressing equivalent, along with a pair of surgical scissors, the sort you can cut clothing off with without cutting the casualty.... steri strips, lots of plasters, bandages for slings, hot and cold compress packs, tweezers, sterilised needle and a small torch (a suggestion from a friend.... have it to hand for when you need it)...

Ours also contains paracetamol, and when we finally get away long term cruising, i'll look to add some legally allowable pain killers, plus an emergency dental kit.
    All of the above and Eye dressings and washes, there are also various painkillers and gels, survival blankets (for cold and shock) and most important a good first aid book. Most things are x 6 of.
    I also carry a dental kit, the main 1st aid kit is in the saloon ready to grab along with grab bag which contains a basic 1st aid kit. Each cabin has a basic 1st aid kit (3).

http://www.superliving.co.uk/pharmac...bandage-8.html - Its a tubular bandage that you can buy in many diameters and tensions. It is good for slipping over a limb and compressing a pad in place. You can get them up to body diameter!

The rest is just the usual assortment of stuff.
    Having time is unavoidable.

prv is online now Registered User

Mine is a standard chandler's "coastal" box, with a few other odds and sods added just because I had them to hand. I think there's a couple of field dressings in there, and some steri-strips.

Most of it is not exactly high-tech, and frankly you could probably do almost as well with teatowels and electrical / gaffer tape.

Pete

Seajet is online now Registered User

I carry a pretty extensive First Aid kit, as even in the Solent, a few hours to port is a very long time; my mother found this out the hard way when she had her fingers mangled by their anchor chain in Newtown Creek...

It's a bit frustrating we can't carry more effective pain killers, and personally I think it ludicrous a good first aid course isn't included in school lessons; our sailing club does very good courses, and I would urge anyone to attend something similar.

These courses can actually be fun - when it came to the 'ABC kiss of life' demonstration, a very pretty young lady volunteered as the subject, naturally I got trampled flat in the rush !

One addition to the Kit I do recommend is Dioralyte Oral Electrolyte Powder, ( empty a sachet into a tumbler of water ) - it's not a drastic medicine though of course one must follow the instructions; it helps replace lost minerals if someone has been consistently vomitting, ie seasickness.

About 4.00 for a box of 4 sachets, has to be asked for at chemists; on any long trip I'd suggest more than one box, as a lot will be 'lost' through sickness.

On that subject I'd also suggest the mineral water bottles with a nozzle one can suck, and possibly Lucozade.

Vaseline is useful as a salve for minor but irritating burns - especially rope burns.
    I'd miss my compost heap

Porthandbuoy is offline Registered User

On the subject of painkillers. What are the most effective you can legally buy in the UK?

When I bought Ladybird just over a year ago the first-aid kit had >1,000 malaria tablets, a bottle of iodine with a price label in shillings and pence, dozens of rust stained bandages, a pair of seized scissors (cause of rust stained bandages), and some aspirin.

I now have a small first aid pack for minor stuff, such as small cuts, abrasions and hangovers; and a 'big pack' for burns, breaks, more serious hurts, and really bad hangovers.
    www.backbearing.com. Astronavigation resources.

Our first aid kits contain all the usual standard bandages and salves plus very strong painkillers and antibiotics (which can be bought over the counter in Spain) for long trips.
    I must admit my most used item is Savlon cream! Its great for itches, scratches, rashes, minor burns, 'dinghy bum' etc. They also do a dry spray formula which we find particularly good for blisters and burns.
    Ooh and I never go anywhere without my Rennies.....

Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post
    On the subject of painkillers. What are the most effective you can legally buy in the UK?
    Co-codamol is pretty dashed effective. I had super large ones prescribed for a dental abcess, and although you can only buy weaker ones over the counter, there's nothing to stop you taking two. Loads of paracetamol, though, so ca' canny or lose your liver.
    Last edited by Ubergeekian; 13-01-11 at 23:20.