Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    oGaryo is offline Registered User

Default Tender Stand Off Arms

Hi, having a look at the weaver stand off arms, expensive for what they are.. are there alternative methods of keeping the tender upright on the davits whilst underway to allow good access to the swim platform without spending silly money? thanks Gary
    Please donate: Breast Cancer research http://www.justgiving.com/Gary-Pearson4

crazy4557 is online now Registered User

Just dig deep for those, they are the best for the job and to be honest when you need to get on the platform the snap davit's allow you to drop the dinghy in v quickly so no real incovenience.
    Anyway what did you expect for a boat part price....good value????

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4557 View Post
    Just dig deep for those, they are the best for the job and to be honest when you need to get on the platform the snap davit's allow you to drop the dinghy in v quickly so no real incovenience.
    Anyway what did you expect for a boat part price....good value????
    "mutually exclusive" springs to mind when comparing value and boat parts will measure up once I've fitted the davits and take the hit in the pocket

Hi Gary, how long do they need to be?

I have a pair of weaver stand off arms taken from the rear of our boat, they're not long enough for our new dinghy because we want to attach to the hull (mini rib), I might be persuaded to sell them should the measurements be ok.

I don't know if weaver use standard sizes but let me know the approx length and I will measure them for you.
    Living the Champagne lifestyle on Beer Money

Quote Originally Posted by enterprise View Post
    Hi Gary, how long do they need to be?

I have a pair of weaver stand off arms taken from the rear of our boat, they're not long enough for our new dinghy because we want to attach to the hull (mini rib), I might be persuaded to sell them should the measurements be ok.

I don't know if weaver use standard sizes but let me know the approx length and I will measure them for you.
    that sounds promising. I'll measure up when next down there to fit the davits, which'll likely be next weekend. The tender's a Wetline 230 airdeck so not massive.

thanks again, will be in touch

Smile Standoff arms

I think the arms are around 300mm (12 inch), you need to hold the dinghy in position and measure the distance from the eyelet pads back to the transom.
    We have them at home so I will get them down from the loft for a picture if they sound suitable.

We need a set of around 600mm (24 inches) if anyone else has a set, of course as it's Gary's post so he gets first refusal to any offered.
    Living the Champagne lifestyle on Beer Money

whisper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by oGaryo View Post
    Hi, having a look at the weaver stand off arms, expensive for what they are.. are there alternative methods of keeping the tender upright on the davits whilst underway to allow good access to the swim platform without spending silly money? thanks Gary
    Do you really need instant access to the bathing platform when you are underway?
    We decided that we didn't and so rather than buying the arms we tie the upper side of the dinghy to the stern rail. If we need to walk along the platform we just slacken or untie the line.
    This seemed to us to be the most flexible system - plus the cheapest!!

does it fly like aflag in the wind we have to tie our top and bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Do you really need instant access to the bathing platform when you are underway?
    We decided that we didn't and so rather than buying the arms we tie the upper side of the dinghy to the stern rail. If we need to walk along the platform we just slacken or untie the line.
    This seemed to us to be the most flexible system - plus the cheapest!!
    I did think about that too... the tender's 7.5ft and the boat beam is 8.5ft so assumed there'd be difficulty getting on the thing but the way you've explained, I guess all you do is slacken the ties right off.. The only other thing I can see to compromise the plan is the full camper cover goes over the aft rail so there'd be nowhere to tie off with it fitted.
    Last edited by oGaryo; 16-01-11 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by enterprise View Post
    I think the arms are around 300mm (12 inch), you need to hold the dinghy in position and measure the distance from the eyelet pads back to the transom.
    We have them at home so I will get them down from the loft for a picture if they sound suitable.

We need a set of around 600mm (24 inches) if anyone else has a set, of course as it's Gary's post so he gets first refusal to any offered.
    Hi, without measuring up, I reckon they'll be too short as the swim platform's an extended job, it adds 2ft to the LOA.. thanks all the same