Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NOHOH View Post
    Have another brandy and get over it
    I wonder why you assumed that what I thought about your response was negative and not positive.

Grow up.

Default Tunisia the future?

We've been in Yasmine Hammamet marina for three winters now. It's been excellent, very safe and we've enjoyed the hospitality of the local people. Unfortunately we don't live aboard but get out there as often as possible. I've been in close contact with friends in the marina over the past week and hear that all has been and still is quiet, in fact shops have now re opened and life is returning to normal.
    What concerns me is the reaction of the population after the elections which are due in 60 days I believe. If these are not free and fair I'm expecting another flare up. Also, the holiday trade will have been decimated for this year at least. I checked a couple of hotels in Yasmine yesterday and one has discounted rooms during April from £150 per night to £29!!! . This indicates that a lot of locals who work in the toursit industry will be out of work. How will they earn money? I hope it's not by selling my electronics!

rivonia is offline Registered User

Thumbs down

Have another brandy and get over it
    It would seem that YOU are the ignorant one. Just leave well alone. HE does not drink BRANDY. He has just had a very stressful experience.

Peter

Talking ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

Quote Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
    It would seem that YOU are the ignorant one. Just leave well alone. HE does not drink BRANDY. He has just had a very stressful experience.

Peter
    Gosh, the ladies have got their handbags out today eh? Crispin.. (sorry these guys have hijacked your thread..I`ll try and leave them alone now)....Rivonia..Maybe he SHOULD have a brandy.....some say its good for steadying the nerves (others don`t)..and I`m sorry he`s had a stressfull experience. (What was it by the way?)

Cool Time to Go

Quote Originally Posted by Borden View Post
    We've been in Yasmine Hammamet marina for three winters now. It's been excellent, very safe and we've enjoyed the hospitality of the local people. Unfortunately we don't live aboard but get out there as often as possible. I've been in close contact with friends in the marina over the past week and hear that all has been and still is quiet, in fact shops have now re opened and life is returning to normal.
    What concerns me is the reaction of the population after the elections which are due in 60 days I believe. If these are not free and fair I'm expecting another flare up. Also, the holiday trade will have been decimated for this year at least. I checked a couple of hotels in Yasmine yesterday and one has discounted rooms during April from £150 per night to £29!!! . This indicates that a lot of locals who work in the toursit industry will be out of work. How will they earn money? I hope it's not by selling my electronics!
    Gosh, this is by far the most sensible post on this page. We agree with you about the prospects for the future...and think that just before the elections would be a very good time to leave..ie mid March.. but I gather the weather is often seriously more boisterous at that time of year

Gosh, this is by far the most sensible post on this page. We agree with you about the prospects for the future...and think that just before the elections would be a very good time to leave..ie mid March.. but I gather the weather is often seriously more boisterous at that time of year
    It was pretty damn boisterous when we came through in June-July last year, stuck in Khelibia for five days.

Quote Originally Posted by Borden View Post
    Exactly my situation too! Even down to thoughts about the electronics!! What are your plans come the Spring? My thoughts have been further focussed by the small print in my insurance policy excluding risks such as war, terrorism and civil unrest.

So I guess I have to decide whether to stay or go and with potentially the whole investment in the boat at stake I more inclined to move than not.

Strange isn't it, if I sail off into the sunset in bad weather I am insured but if I stay put I may not be!

Sadly, because I do like the Tunisians, there may be some very empty marinas this summer.
    “Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it’s the only one you have.”
    (French philosopher Emile Chartier)

http://Yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com

Sy-Revolution is offline Registered User

Calm down eh, calm down!

Dee do doh dont dee doh!

Insurance wise I doubt very much that my O/B and VHF are now covered. We spent the yesturday running around on wild goose chases, instigated by the fuzz, who seemed to want to impress us without substance. We were told variously that they'd caught the guy, got the stuff back and that it was ready to collect at a number of different stations. All turned out to be nonsense.

I'm more upset about the radio because I'd just fitted it. The O/B, although a great starter was only a 2.5hp mercury which we'd found a bit gutless at times last year and were looking at upgrading anyway. PITA all the same though........

We may have been a little reckless in staying but wanted to see it through if we could. Anyhow, what would the locals have thought if the British had turned tail and fled at the first sign of trouble? Just wouldn't do!

Very 'educational' for the boy too...........

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy-Revolution View Post
    Calm down eh, calm down!

Dee do doh dont dee doh!

Insurance wise I doubt very much that my O/B and VHF are now covered. We spent the yesturday running around on wild goose chases, instigated by the fuzz, who seemed to want to impress us without substance. We were told variously that they'd caught the guy, got the stuff back and that it was ready to collect at a number of different stations. All turned out to be nonsense.

I'm more upset about the radio because I'd just fitted it. The O/B, although a great starter was only a 2.5hp mercury which we'd found a bit gutless at times last year and were looking at upgrading anyway. PITA all the same though........

We may have been a little reckless in staying but wanted to see it through if we could. Anyhow, what would the locals have thought if the British had turned tail and fled at the first sign of trouble? Just wouldn't do!

Very 'educational' for the boy too...........

C.
    Ah! I see the Tunisian police are still up to their normal standards!! hehehehe.
    I personally did think you were a little reckless, however you did stick it out and well done to you. Stiff upper lip etc! I have been "educated" in these scenarios many times, it will be useful in the future!! Take care of your selves, maybe see you in the Ionian or somewhere else this year!

Quote Originally Posted by silver-fox View Post
    Exactly my situation too! Even down to thoughts about the electronics!! What are your plans come the Spring? My thoughts have been further focussed by the small print in my insurance policy excluding risks such as war, terrorism and civil unrest.

So I guess I have to decide whether to stay or go and with potentially the whole investment in the boat at stake I more inclined to move than not.

Strange isn't it, if I sail off into the sunset in bad weather I am insured but if I stay put I may not be!

Sadly, because I do like the Tunisians, there may be some very empty marinas this summer.
    Steve
    I'm still contemplating my options rgarding staying or leaving Yasmine. I've sent a mail to your Gmail box.
    Cheers
    Colin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast