Default VLTAVA the schooner of my dreams !

Hi all here,

since more than 10 years we study and prepare a project to sail free and useful on the blue waters to enjoy private/oceanographic long cruises.

We are reaching the last step and are near to have the money to buy somewhere in the world a great old good sailboat (preferably a schooner because I like them and I know a bit them).

We shall have a permanent crew of 8 people (womens and mens) during a 5 year first program.

This message just to say to the lovers of classic (but "modern") boats that we have recently missed one of the "ideal" wooden schooners for us : VLTAVA (81' x 17' / 50 T) laying in La Paz (south mexican peninsula).

She has been sold on the 10 of january 2001 for "nothing" (51 000 $) after inspection on dry. The hull is in strip-planking on a big structure. The boat is sound as well as the rig (Marconi staysail), etc. in spite of the poor exterior aspect.

This picture have been taken by Shelly (kind american broker !) on this day :

This is an example of an absolutely wonderfull and efficient hull bottom (heavy displacement (draft 10.5') to go safely and comfortablly across the oceans, is n't it ?

I don't know the architect who have designed this "one off" schooner, but he is really a very good one !

My team and I are very sad ... I wonder if we can find another like this one ... even with our some hundred thousands $$ ?
    Last edited by OFournier; 20-01-11 at 18:27. Reason: orthographic corrections (I'm french)
    Oceans have no frontiers ...

I'm a lover of heavy displacement schooners al;so. That one is a beaut and as you say, a giveaway!!

Seajet is offline Registered User

I'm trying to console myself over the fact I'll never sail her by trying to imagine handling her in a tight marina with cross wind & current ! So far it's not working at all...

[QUOTE=Seajet;2797692]I'm trying to console myself over the fact I'll never sail her by trying to imagine handling her in a tight marina with cross wind & current ! So far it's not working at all...[/QUO

Nah! Rose tint is too strong!

[QUOTE=ccscott49;2797885]
    Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I'm trying to console myself over the fact I'll never sail her by trying to imagine handling her in a tight marina with cross wind & current ! So far it's not working at all...[/QUO

Nah! Rose tint is too strong!
    Draft > 3m. Most marinas around here don't do more than 2.5m - 3m.
    Now you can imagine how she handles in a marina like that

Keith 66 is online now Registered User

So she is strip planked, looking at the rust streaks & spots you can see where the frames are from here. I would wager she is iron fastened.
    Looks like big trouble to me.

prv is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I'm trying to console myself over the fact I'll never sail her by trying to imagine handling her in a tight marina with cross wind & current !
    With a boat like that you can carry as big a tender as you want - no need to squeeze into a marina at all.

Pete

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    With a boat like that you can carry as big a tender as you want - no need to squeeze into a marina at all.

Pete
    Hi all,

this last comment is the right one : no need to approach at less than one nm from coasts.

Because we and our crew prefer to sail away offshore most of the time, instead to be inside "boat parkings".
    Oceans have no frontiers ...

I wonder if it is a John Alden design?

Nope apparently not:

http://www.mazmarine.com/core/listin...ywo=mazmarine&
    Last edited by Sybarite; 07-02-11 at 00:12.

Default The schooner of my dreams

Well this is the schooner of mine,,,

http://www.commercial-boats-for-sale...at_104620.aspx