Question Information on the Bolero 35.5

I'm hoping that someone here can help. I'm trying to get information on the Bolero 35.5. It was designed by David Thomas in 1980 and looks almost exactly like the Sigma 36 (another David Thomas design of '80/81). I've Googled, but there isn't much there.

The Bolero is 3/4 fractional rig but I can't find the sail plan for her and I'd really like the P, E, I and J dimensions.

The given displacement is approx 12,100 - 12,600 lbs (depending on data source) but I can't find the ballast value.

Does anyone here own one, or have you sailed one? If so, I've very much like to hear your opinion on this model.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Very very rare. As a disciple, I have sailed on a variety of D. Thomas boats-Sonata, Bolero 1/4 tonner, Delta, Impala, Hydro, Toledo and various Sigmas but can not recall even seeing the big Bolero in the flesh. My (vague) recollection was that it was a race oriented design like the original bolero, hydro and toledos rather than a cruiser racer like the Sigmas etc.
    D Thomas was a reliable yacht designer and none of the above were slow so the boat should be OK but if a product of a small yard, may like the Hydro etc be a bit lighter and more basic than the Sigmas etc. Hydros/Toledos (toledo was a hydro with an extended scoop stern) were sold for racing and some were fitted out as lightly as possible by the owners, the big Bolero could be like that too. Nick Stratton at Rhu was involved with the Hydro and Toledo as well as Sigmas and should know something about the Boleros history if any one does.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Very very rare. As a disciple, I have sailed on a variety of D. Thomas boats-Sonata, Bolero 1/4 tonner, Delta, Impala, Hydro, Toledo and various Sigmas but can not recall even seeing the big Bolero in the flesh. My (vague) recollection was that it was a race oriented design like the original bolero, hydro and toledos rather than a cruiser racer like the Sigmas etc.
    D Thomas was a reliable yacht designer and none of the above were slow so the boat should be OK but if a product of a small yard, may like the Hydro etc be a bit lighter and more basic than the Sigmas etc. Hydros/Toledos (toledo was a hydro with an extended scoop stern) were sold for racing and some were fitted out as lightly as possible by the owners, the big Bolero could be like that too. Nick Stratton at Rhu was involved with the Hydro and Toledo as well as Sigmas and should know something about the Boleros history if any one does.
    Unfortunately, Nick is on holiday for the next week. The various dimensions and weights appear to be similar to the Sigma 36 and it is described as a race cruiser:
    LOA = 35.5
    LWL = 29.42
    Beam = 11.33
    Draft = 5.70 (bit less than the Sigma 36)
    Displacement = 12.100
    Ballast = ???
    Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Herald is offline Registered User

I have one of the Bolero 35.5's built by Nick Stratton. Very similar in may ways to the Sigma 36. I have found her a very quick and capable boat. Deep keel, sizeable 3/4 fractional rig gives her a good turn of pace and performance.

Interior is spacious enough. Suppossedly 9 berths but realistically 6/7 as the two quarter berths are very small doubles. Chart table to starboard and galley to port and standing headroom throughout.

I tend to sail mine with two of us, but have sailed it single handed, although it can be fun and games with the running backstays.

From what I know there were very few made. I believe there are some across on the clyde and another one currently on Loch Ness somewhere, but information very scarce.

I'll dig out the measurement certificate when back in the office on Monday and PM you the details requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    I have one of the Bolero 35.5's built by Nick Stratton. Very similar in may ways to the Sigma 36. I have found her a very quick and capable boat. Deep keel, sizeable 3/4 fractional rig gives her a good turn of pace and performance.

Interior is spacious enough. Supposedly 9 berths but realistically 6/7 as the two quarter berths are very small doubles. Chart table to starboard and galley to port and standing headroom throughout.

I tend to sail mine with two of us, but have sailed it single handed, although it can be fun and games with the running backstays.

From what I know there were very few made. I believe there are some across on the clyde and another one currently on Loch Ness somewhere, but information very scarce.

I'll dig out the measurement certificate when back in the office on Monday and PM you the details requested.
    Oh, excellent. I'd anticipate sailing with one or two crew for a lot of the time (I enjoy the company), but also taking her out by myself on occasions to potter about and practice all the usual close-quarter drills such as picking up mooring buoys or coming into and off pontoons at various states of wind and tide. I'm hoping to take my YM Coastal and/or Offshore this year.

I'd very much appreciate as much information as you're willing to supply.

Thanks kindly,
    Simon