Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Alt if you wanted shafts check out the F36. we have one as a school boat served us well 4500hrs and handles well.

DIW is offline Registered User

Thumbs up

Owned a F33 for 8 years concur with everything Nautibusiness and Mikef have said about them. Good first Flybridge IMO.

I own a F34, don't really notice when on the plane, don't have a problem at marina speeds. You get use to how a boat handles and therefore anticipate the conditions. Sterndrives make handling easy, more so with a bow thruster. Yes the boat moves when you step on and off but certainly no more than the previous 28' sports cruiser than we used to have. I am biased but I think they're a great boat as is the F33, much better and more fuel efficient than the Jeanneau P32.

I have clocked up many many miles (over 3000) in F33's, our own for a while and others since, for what you pay you get a great boat, can be a bit lively and needs thinking about on a windy day in the marina, but overall great fun per ££££. oh and ours did not have a bow-thruster, just a SWMBO as very good crew :-)
    Having fun out on the water!http://www.mendezmarine.co.uk

Thepipdoc is offline Registered User

I am biased because I have a F33, but anyone who says it's "wobbly" hasn't owned a 27 foot American sports boat! To say a 33 foot boat with a 11 foot beam is wobbly should surely compare it with something.
    Compared to a larger, wider boat it perhaps is "wobbly" but equally when compared to a smaller, narrow boat it will feel positively solid.

I had a 27 Footer for a couple of seasons and whilst the boat was excellent it wasn't in the same league as the F33.
    As I said though, I am biased.

MikeJ42 is offline Registered User

Some people want to knock this boat. Itís a 33ft flybridge on outdrives, so it feels a little lively at times. That doesnít mean there is something fundamentally wrong with it. Its like saying a mini is no good cos it doesnít feel as relaxed as a family saloon.

A cruising companion of mine had an F33 (without a bow thrusters) for 5 years. It took him and his family just about everywhere is just about any (acceptable) condition. For him, its liveliness became its most endearing feature.

Hi Alt,

I first bought a Phantom 40 4 years ago.

I was actually about to buy a new F34 when people told me to go for a second hand P40 .

We sea trialed both and the sheer difference in sea keeping was un believeable! Pure night and day.

Also the owner talking about a F7...

This is a video of me in my Squad 58 in a F6 - F7 . It was pretty violent at points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PHtC46bboo

An F7 on the South coast of Ireland with the whole Atlantic to give a huge sea would not be a good experience..

To say the F33 boat handled fine through it I really can't see.... A real force 7 is an angry enough sea...

strakeryrius is offline Registered User

I think wobbliness is a subjective thing - some people will feel uneasy from the motion on the FB of an F33 and others won't be bothered by it.

I was out on a F33 last year, and did notice that it felt a lot less stable than my own boat, a Targa 34, but at no time did the motion give me any cause for unease. Other people's reaction to the same motion could be to run screaming for the hills.
    I'm far too old to know everything - I leave that to the kids.

MikeJ42 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by boatlover View Post
    Hi Alt,

I first bought a Phantom 40 4 years ago.

I was actually about to buy a new F34 when people told me to go for a second hand P40 .

We sea trialed both and the sheer difference in sea keeping was un believeable! Pure night and day.

Also the owner talking about a F7...

This is a video of me in my Squad 58 in a F6 - F7 . It was pretty violent at points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PHtC46bboo

An F7 on the South coast of Ireland with the whole Atlantic to give a huge sea would not be a good experience..

To say the F33 boat handled fine through it I really can't see.... A real force 7 is an angry enough sea...
    Thats a massive difference in size, weight and configuration. I cant ever imagine anyone choosing a 34ft outdrive boat over a 40ft shaft boat if seakeeping was the only consideration.

Factor running costs, and the F34 might be your only viable option.

AllanJ is offline Registered User

Default Biased, but...

I have a F33 and have no intention of parting with it. It is my first boat and, despite all the hand-wringing (including on here) about the difficulty of handling stern-drives, I am very happy with the boat's manoeuvrability (I can turn it in it's own length), space, speed (I have had it at 34 knots, cruise at 22), and economy. I have never, through two Scottish winters, ever helmed from the lounge, always on the flybridge which is just great.
    That said, I have the boat for pleasure - not to pit myself against the elements (I have a pilot's licence which I use with the same attitude). If the weather is bad I simply stay in the marina and enjoy everything that it, and the boat, offers. It has a bow-thruster, but even so that will not provide what you need when it is above about F5.
    Used within its limits (and what vehicle has none?) I think that it is a great buy and has given us and many friends enormous pleasure.
    (p.s. we ruled out a 'sports boat' with mostly canvas on the roof as we are on the Clyde and we wanted to have a quiet workspace when it was chucking it down.)