Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 50 new boats for 2012 olympics

Just been reading in the latest MBY that Beneteau are to buld 50 new motor boats to be used for the 2012 olympics, what a shame they couldnt use 50 new British built boats, that could have been a big help to the struggling Brittish boat builders and would help secure jobs.

Id say there is a chance that they have been supplied FOC to the Olympics, a good bit of advertising, imagine the TV coverage worldwide all for the sake of a few boats no doubt we did have the chance behind closed doors but no one took it up.

IIRC tenders were requested on their electronic portal 'compete for' and I suspect Beneteau realised the marketing potential and bid accordingly. Sadly the overriding requirement is to minmise the overal cost to the Treasury rather than support British buisness.

Observant forum members may have spotted the 2012 Olympic badges onto the Beneteau staff at the London Boat Show this year.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapower View Post
    Just been reading in the latest MBY that Beneteau are to buld 50 new motor boats to be used for the 2012 olympics, what a shame they couldnt use 50 new British built boats, that could have been a big help to the struggling Brittish boat builders and would help secure jobs.
    Hmm, what are they going to use 50 motor boats for? Doesn't sound right to me. In addition to the 30 or so RIBs being built by Ribcraft for the olympics, there will be more support boats than sailing dinghies!!

Kipper is offline Registered User

Would the French use British Boats if they were hosting the Olympics?

Me thinks not.

Interesting. Once every few years Le Tour passes within a few miles of our place in France and occasionally, if we're there we struggle out to watch the peloton go by. I can certainly remember one occasion when the fleet of support vehicles were Fiat Multiplas, presumably provided on a similar basis. I remember it partly because I was surprised that a foreign manufacturer had got in on the action (albeit that we are close to the Italian border and Turin is, I think, technically the nearest car plant).

I was told that some Antares 30,s were being used amongst others. Its a pity but no UK manufacturer makes a small fly bridge.We bought one as there was nothing to compere size/price from the UK
    My Friend BEN R.I.P. Never forgotten 4.5.2012

mikef is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Hmm, what are they going to use 50 motor boats for? Doesn't sound right to me. In addition to the 30 or so RIBs being built by Ribcraft for the olympics, there will be more support boats than sailing dinghies!!
    Apparently, the Olympics Committee have decreed that reserved Zil lanes must be provided on every major road to ensure that VIPs and other hangers on are whisked seamlessly into the Olympics site. I guess the mobos are needed to ferry VIPs regally down the Thames from their 7 star hotels when they get a bit bored with the limo service or when we plebs fuming on whats left of the road network start to riot

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Apparently, the Olympics Committee have decreed that reserved Zil lanes must be provided on every major road to ensure that VIPs and other hangers on are whisked seamlessly into the Olympics site. I guess the mobos are needed to ferry VIPs regally down the Thames from their 7 star hotels when they get a bit bored with the limo service or when we plebs fuming on whats left of the road network start to riot
    Excellent, when we come up the Thames for the Olympics we could start a water taxi business, on the quiet of course, at least the American tourists will appreciate being ferried about on a yank boat

Kipper is offline Registered User

Thats a plan, mind you to us oop norf it is of little interest. just a shame we will pay for it as we pay our taxes.