Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Default Double shudder...

That looks awful, truly awful.

All the best to our QLD colleagues. Had a very nice holiday last April in the Deep North.

Very glad to hear your news, and also listening to news reports that no fatalities

I've been silently reading this thread with trepidation, it has made me pay a lot more attention to the news reports. Thankfully it seems that it all could so easily have been much worse but luckily it wasn't.

capetown is offline Registered User

Watched the news on tv, was thinking of you again.

My cure for when it's blowing a hoolie and can't sleep, and every time there is a stronger gust, and wince, is ear plugs )

My boat has broken it's mooring in the past, and I know that hollow sick feeling when you go looking for it. The HM called to say they've found it, luckily there wasn't much damage.

But nothing can compare to your troubles.

oldsaltoz is offline Registered User

I spent most of yesterday unpacking all the gear and tools I paced up before the cyclone was due to arrive.

Today I am getting stuck into the job I'm doing with a view to getting back up to Cairns and sort things out.

However I'm not at all confident as I will be in Adelaide SA on April 15th and suspect I will be there for a minimum of 6 long days.

I don't how I ever managed to find time to work before I retired, I seem to have more to do now than ever before.

Oh well,'head down and bum up, this will never get the work done, will send this to the Dove, she will copy and paste on forum for me.

So I will return to my morning break now, oops too late, the boys are heading back in.

Seeya.
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

tinkicker0 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by oldsaltoz View Post
    Well it's now 21 hours since cyclone Yasi category 5 crossed the coast just south of Cairns at mission beach.

290 km winds, tidal surges, 180,000 homes without power and weather stations falling over as the cyclone approached.

Some areas are still not accessible, roads gone, washed, flooded or covered in fallen trees and weather too bad for choppers to off the ground.

Tidal surge at Cardwell was predicted to be 7 meters above high water, it 5 metres and the beach has millions of dollars in wrecked boats stacked against homes, nothing left in the marina but bare poles and no pontoons.

Though some areas have yet be checked, the good news is that there have been no deaths reported and four births, one is a shelter.

As for our boat it turns out the red mark on the dise is in fact from the mangrove tree bark, the side rails have also been damaged, I suspect they fouled a few branches when still moving on the tidal surge.
    The report that she was a bit lower in one hull has been confirmed as I suspected, rudder tube is damaged, this not a major problem as this is inside a watertight compartment and as the construction is all epoxy it can wait. Others with far more serious problems will need the limited facilities more than us.

This is no major job and even though epoxy work takes longer because the longer cure times and need for the right conditions, I estimate under 48 hours including waiting for tide/s to complete and paint. this will mean some work under lights though.

In the mean time the boat will remain in the inlet till the marina reopens and/or the weather out look improves.

This should be my last update on this subject, however if anyone wants more info or detail don't hesitate to ask.

Again I thank you all for your support, good wishes and prayers.

Good luck and fair winds to you all.
    Just found this thread and it has left me feeling quite breathless, I am so relieved to hear you got off relatively lightly and your community is without casualties.
    Avatar = Bailey - Gone but not forgotten.

Shades of Concarneau October 1987...

Glad for you OldSaltoz. It could have been worse especially when you spoke of your son planning to swim ashore. I didn't want to say then but what about the salties?

oldsaltoz is offline Registered User

The sharks and sting rays cleaned them up.

A couple of years ago now some local flooding in Cairns, saw some rather large salties in the creeks close to homes.

The local authorities just put a few traps and cart them off.

After cyclone Yasi a large saltie was spotted on beach near Mackay, well south of the cyclone.

Happy dayze.
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112