Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    hlb is offline Registered User

Default Brokers, Why So Bloody Lazy.

As some folk know, I've put my boat up for sale. Filled in thousands of questions on the form.

Yet she went from seven berth down to six, gained a couple of "moveable chairs" and an "L shaped seat on the fly bridge."

Another P 35 had become semi displacement and just about all advertised were different lengths.

It's not as though he had to walk more than 3 yards to look at her after taking the photo.

Wink poor service from brokers

Looks like they all trained as estate agents!
    How big is daddy's yacht? I don't know but it has three funnels!

Loggo is offline Registered User
    Location : From Herefordshire - Formerly on the Thames - then the Trent - now on the Severn (and Avon)

The wonder of clip and paste.

There doesn't seem to be any motivation for them to make an effort, does there? Is the basic salary too high? Perhaps they should be paid commission only. Sure the agency gets paid commission, but the employees must be on salaries. No agency "owner" breathing down their neck either.

Even as a potential buyer I find indifference & ennui when I show interest in a boat. But then, I am a timewaster but that could easily & quickly change for the right boat & price.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

AdeOlly is offline Registered User

Not surprised Haydn. I have had my boat up for sale though we've now decided to keep her for this season, but whilst she's been for sale I've made a few enquiries of boats I'd be interested in buying had our boat sold. These enquiries have usually been via a web form, but generally I've asked for a full spec and often some additional questions. There are frequently obvious errors in the specs. It's also very frustrating how often I don't receive any reply - something like 65% of the time nothing. It's the middle of winter too, not as though these guys are run off their feet. Is my hundred grand not worth 10 minutes writing an email What is the point in creating a flashy website and then ignoring the enquiries???

Must say though that some brokers have been responsive and helpful, and they will be the first I will go to when I re-list my boat for sale in August!
    Adrian

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Know just what you mean Haydn. There surely seems to be some very lazy/poor brokers around. Some are also good though.

My last buying experience included driving 250 miles to look at one boat, which turned out to have flat batteries and driving 150 miles to another boat where the female staff member at the brokers couldn't be bothered to come out of her warm office (it was Nov) to show us the boat. She pointed us in the general direction and gave us the door key, would give us the engine key.

The boat we did buy (first one above) was also advertised by another broker. He was the original supplying dealers, some 150 miles away, who hadn't seen the boat since he sold it 5 years earlier. The description was a vague one supplied by the owner and the pictures consisted of a few brochure pics. How can this be right ?

Last boat i sold i put it on with an ebay classified to start, lots of good pictures and description. Serviced it all for the sale, and kept it riddiculously clean.

Had a broker get in touch with a client, and the boat was sold in a few weeks.
    Neil

Mine went privately on "Boats and Outboards" and the very last thing I want is any broker breathing down my neck when am pulling his clients boat to bits,gloomy bilges fascinate me and getting up carpets,pulling sole inspection hatches is easier with nobody watching.
    Just give me the keys and stay in your office Mr Broker,will tell you soon enough what we think about that "amusing" asking price and "interesting" description
    of " def. not this boat" in brouchure .
    Last edited by oldgit; 02-02-11 at 08:38.

I can sense a list coming up here, the goodies & the baddies.

I've not had any experience with brokers as yet other than the odd email enquiry, whom have been very good in all fairness.

I am however finding increasingly that most general sales staff or shop assistants don't want to be at work. Some mope around with a face like a slapped arse, I think get another job or get back on the dole if you don't like it.

Re. the brokers, perhaps we should have a national 'lets all go for a sea trial' day then get back and say we'll pay a deposit when the giro clears.....

I am however finding increasingly that most general sales staff or shop assistants don't want to be at work. Some mope around with a face like a slapped arse, I think get another job or get back on the dole if you don't like it.

With people like me around it must be very difficult to sort out folks who actually want to spend money with them (1%) and timewasters (90%).
    Can well understand the apathy.