Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    I am however finding increasingly that most general sales staff or shop assistants don't want to be at work. Some mope around with a face like a slapped arse, I think get another job or get back on the dole if you don't like it.

With people like me around it must be very difficult to sort out folks who actually want to spend money with them (1%) and timewasters (90%).
    Can well understand the apathy.
    What are the other 9%?
    Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    Robert Green Ingersoll

Robin is offline Registered User

We have sold our last two boats, 10 years apart, through the same brokerage, Sea Ventures in Hamble. In both cases they came to view the boat in Poole, took lots of good photographs and prepared a glossy brochure that I thought was very good.

The first boat I had tried to sell privately with a glossy add in Yachting Monthly, had two viewers one already had the same type of boat and was snooping, the other talked about getting a survey and looked like a firm buyer but never heard from again. Sea Ventures as part of their deal took the boat to Hamble and put it on their walkway display, lifted out at my cost but storage for 3 months at theirs. The boat was sold in 3 weeks, surveyed and all formalities completed and money in my bank after another 3 weeks. Whilst at their Hamble site the brokerage deal included them keeping the boat clean and tidy. They suggested I remove some gear (like the liferaft) and them store it ashore to be used as a counter offer if negotiating hard on price, which is what happened too.

The last boat remained on my berth in Poole, again nice glossy brochure. The boat was sold in 6 weeks to a Frenchman who made his own way to Poole to view the boat but the broker (office 45 miles away by road) was there with me to meet him for viewing. The broker handled all the documentation, including de-registering from Part 1 British Registry and I had nothing much to do except check the money arrived in my account. Had that sale not gone ahead there was another Frenchman waiting to view, I doubt that any advertising by me privately would have found these people.

I was quite happy with both these sales and sure I would have preferred to sell privately and save the broker fee. Realistically however the broker made the whole thing relatively painless for both us and the buyer.

We will be buying our next boat in the USA and will only buy through a broker that can handle all the relevant documentation for us. We may even engage a 'buyers broker' to search for us and have one in mind that we have met and discussed our needs with, he knows we will not forgive wasted trips and bullshi and will earn his money by splitting the selling fee with the selling broker. He showed us several boats of types we were interested in and is well aware from our comments that we don't miss defects and are not to be messed with!

So there are good and bad brokers.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Kipper is offline Registered User

Hi Haydn

I have never sold a boat through them but have had some very prompt seriivice when enquiring about a potential buy from Boatshed Wales.
    You do need a local broker but not neccessarely in your marina.
    They have a good web site and have always given frank and honest replies to any questions I have askes eithwr by email or on the phone.
    I would give them a try if you havnt already.

Quote Originally Posted by hlb View Post
    As some folk know, I've put my boat up for sale. Filled in thousands of questions on the form.

Yet she went from seven berth down to six, gained a couple of "moveable chairs" and an "L shaped seat on the fly bridge."

Another P 35 had become semi displacement and just about all advertised were different lengths.

It's not as though he had to walk more than 3 yards to look at her after taking the photo.
    You think selling through a Broker is tough, you should try buying from them.....

Buying Advice

Before viewing phone to enquire about the boat, make sure you speak with plumbs in your gob and ask him what his name is.

Dont trun up at an inconvenient time
    avoid
    Fridays after 1300hrs (going boating)
    Mondays before 1300hrs (still boating)
    anyday after 1500 hrs (home time)
    anyday before 1030 (still at home)
    anyday between 1145 and 1430 (lunch)

Before you turn up make sure you have had a hair cut, new sunday best and your best jewellery.

Ask for him by name and ensure you use his name with great respect addressing him correctly Mr Smyth

It helps to drop your wallet allowing as many gold cards to spill out as possible along with a few 50 notes.

Make sure your wife has her sexiest black number on and dont tut every time the perv checks her out going up the stairs.

Well hopefully you will have secured a viewing , your first step

I expect getting in the masons would be easier than buying a boat through a Broker .

Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post

I expect getting in the masons would be easier than buying a boat through a Broker .
    If he's in the masons, you may be better wearing the stockings & suspenders yourself

hlb is offline Registered User

I rang the first broker three times, then got fed up so rang another, who said he would ring back within the hour. I did not hear from him again.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hlb View Post
    I rang the first broker three times, then got fed up so rang another, who said he would ring back within the hour. I did not hear from him again.
    I was once in the USA when my phone rang at 4.am.

I answered it. The call was from a lady in the UK and I was told. "You have been recommended to me to sell my yacht. Why should I use you?"

I replied "because I am probably the only broker in the world who answers his phone it 4.am".

I got the job and sold the yacht for her six weeks later
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

ColdFusion is offline Registered User

Haydn, why don't you use Jonic to sell your boat? The broker doesn't have to be based locally, as long as you (or someone) can do the viewings.

Philiz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Hi Haydn

I have never sold a boat through them but have had some very prompt seriivice when enquiring about a potential buy from Boatshed Wales.
    You do need a local broker but not neccessarely in your marina.
    They have a good web site and have always given frank and honest replies to any questions I have askes eithwr by email or on the phone.
    I would give them a try if you havnt already.
    I've heard good things about Boatshed Wales too. They seem a bit more pro-active, they chase up people who viewed a certain boat a few times on their website and are very helpful when you contact them
    'I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered! My life is my own!'

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
    Haydn, why don't you use Jonic to sell your boat? The broker doesn't have to be based locally, as long as you (or someone) can do the viewings.
    Sadly I only do sail
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com