Default Wood filler for use on wet wood

Does anyone know of a filler which can be used on wet wood ?. The stern quarters of my boat are a little chewed up, with lots of old screw holes. At the moment, it is not practical to get this complely dry. She dries out on every tide, but that's it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
    Does anyone know of a filler which can be used on wet wood ?. The stern quarters of my boat are a little chewed up, with lots of old screw holes. At the moment, it is not practical to get this complely dry. She dries out on every tide, but that's it.

Thanks
    I do not know of any filler that will work on wet wood, however, if on one tide you use a waterbased 2 part epoxy saturator, as sold by John at Tradboats, Beccles, the next tide, you could use epoxy filler, which would stick to the now hard, water based epoxy. Remembering that epoxy filler does not go off as fast as polyester filler, which you will not be tempted to use! Reason being, polyester filler is agroscopic, it absorbs water, ask any good car body shop man.

I probably wouldn't use it myself, but Hiscock in one of his books mentions cement as a wood filler. Other than that I can't think of anything else likely to even begin to be able to stick.

No chance the repair can wait until you can get the boat out of the water?

In Australia we have a product made by Selley's called Knead it, marine version. It is an expoxy that comes as a sort of tube with the two parts separated. To use you cut off the desired amount, knead it till the colour is uniform them jam it in the hole to be fixed. I have used it underwater to fill a gap at the stem where the planks join on my fishing vessel. One bloke in the dinghy mixing pieces the size of a cigarette, diver in the water jamming in filler with hardwood wedges. Goes off after 15 to 20 minutes. The plan was to replace the filler when next on the slip but it proved impossible to get out. Forcing the filler in with wedges obviously displaced the water and made a T section behind the plank. Its going to be there a very long time.

UK swimming pool sellers have a two pack underwater sealant, as described from Oz above. It works well, and I used to carry some for "emergencies". Cannot recall name, but something like epoxy putty.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyulph Hesling View Post
    UK swimming pool sellers have a two pack underwater sealant, as described from Oz above. It works well, and I used to carry some for "emergencies". Cannot recall name, but something like epoxy putty.
    This what you mean:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/epoxy-putty-...43442&t=module

Saw somewhere an acct of a couple fixing a crack on their steel boat with cement and lanolin mixed quickly and applied underwater. When they finally were able to dry her out, it had to be chiseled off.

Default Filler for wet wood

As the area is about 2m x 1m, putty types are not viable. The water-based epoxy might be the thing ... I'll ask Tradboats, and also wait and hope for more user reports.
    The wood that is there is sound ... just a bit ripped, probably from having trawl(minesweeper) equipment dragged over it.

Thanks
    Shane

Would it be unkind to counsel against a short conversation with Tradboats?

I always remember Tommy Cooper. He came on stage on day wearing a beret instead of his usual Fez. He said the the audience: "Who am I?" No reponse. Eventually, he threw the damn hat into the audience still crying "Who am I?"

To their silence, he responded: " Chuck Berry". Don't forget to ask Jonathan Greenaway what he has on his head!

Wicked Old Frank

Black Pudding thickened with cement powder might do it. The Black Pudding in question is a coal-tar product. I think I have seen it on the Traditional Boat Supplies website.
    Visit MarinaSkip to get rid of your unwanted boaty stuff (and pick up
    some more!)

ClickyClicky