Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the glory hole

Quote Originally Posted by nedmin View Post
    At 12ft 6" beam I,ve no chance of getting thro. There is no way that there is 9ft odd clearance at 15ft width. Plus there is a slight bend in the middle.I,ll pass on that one.Been thro. many times on previous boats,but it would be nice to go to Ely again without going the long way round.
    Your loss. Even if you were right (which you are not by the way) you only need 7ft clearance which is easily achieveable over your 12'6" beam. With the arch folded on our boat, as it is in the video, our air draft is 6'6" There is acres of room for it to go through. The extra six inches or so you need if you watch the video are easily acheiveable.

We recently took our boat down to measure the bridges for a friend who is having his boat modified (arch chopped) to allow him access to the wash. We have all of the measurements avaliable and the bridges drawn up if you would like a copy PM your email address and i will send them across. We had our boat sideways in the Glory Hole with a person stood in the bridge on either bank measuring up. At no point was any part of the boat even close top clipping the stonework at a height of 6'6".

At 7ft your air draft is much, much lower than a lot of the other boats that go through, some with a larger beam than yours at that.

Here you go. This is Sealine 310 going through. The beam on this boat is 10.65ft or 3.25m in new money. The official height above waterline (which would be to the top of the nav gear hoop) is 10.4ft. This boat has been slightly modified to remove the nav gear loop to get through the bridges. At a guess it has taken a foot of the o/a height.

Default princess 286 / gloy hole

Thanks to all who have replied it has been very helpful
    My next thing i would like to do later in the year is go on to the wash with some one who has experiance in that area so anyone who wants a day out i would be pleased to hear from you
    regards roger

Where are you based ? We can advise on the local clubs were you can get drunk with like minded people
    "It was the crew's fault"

Default glory hole

hi we are based in lincoln on brayford trust moorings thanks roger

Quote Originally Posted by ocean princess View Post
    hi we are based in lincoln on brayford trust moorings thanks roger
    ilikeitalot

nedmin is offline Registered User

Thanks CX54WEK for all your help.As its 7ft 4ins height at widest point it would be nice to have another 6ins! I think I,ll give it a miss.

Thanks CX54WEK for all your help.As its 7ft 4ins height at widest point it would be nice to have another 6ins! I think I,ll give it a miss.
    We would all like an extra six inches clearance in an ideal world, but you just have to work with what you have got im afraid. Dont write it off though. Pick a quiet time to have a go at walking it through, if it doesnt look as though it will go through, back up and reverse back out into the pool.

Its worth the effort getting through

nedmin is offline Registered User

Put some graph paper on the screen using your photo and using the measurements you gave I put in 7.5ft at 12.5 ft and its a bit too close for me ! Once again thanks.

Put some graph paper on the screen using your photo and using the measurements you gave I put in 7.5ft at 12.5 ft and its a bit too close for me ! Once again thanks.
    I dont need to do it with graph paper. I have them drawn out here in front of me. You cant scale from a photograph due to differences in angles and the height that the photograph was taken.

As i said earlier i am happy to forward them too you if you want a copy.