Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My subject is open for change and I don't want anyone to tAke what I've said the wrong way. I appreciate your views and the idea is to ask this question that I have stated so that I get the kind of reply that you have given me so that I can prove or dis prove this question.

Thanks

LC

hlb is offline Registered User

I dont understand "dissertation" is it a new word.

Quote Originally Posted by hlb View Post
    I dont understand "dissertation" is it a new word.
    Haha, it didn't sound so weird to myself because it comes from latin.
    But I also couldn't get my head round the title, and the sense of a research on such subject.
    In my age, Uni professors used to recommend/debate/approve any thesis subjects.
    Not sure if that's still the case, but if it is - and if the OP had such topic approved by her professor - I'd suggest to either change the Uni or at least the prof...

I am sorry about the spelling mistakes, I am dyslexic so sometimes I can't help it. Sorry

crazy4557 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by louisecollin View Post
    I am sorry about the spelling mistakes, I am dyslexic so sometimes I can't help it. Sorry
    Don't be sorry about your spelling...some of the spelling and grammer on this forum needs a bit of tlc!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Haha, it didn't sound so weird to myself because it comes from latin.
    But I also couldn't get my head round the title, and the sense of a research on such subject.
    In my age, Uni professors used to recommend/debate/approve any thesis subjects.
    Not sure if that's still the case, but if it is - and if the OP had such topic approved by her professor - I'd suggest to either change the Uni or at least the prof...
    Yep but I've got a Princess, regardless of the none understanding of latin.

In the eighties, "Logistics" was the buz word, everybody wanted to be in it. They bought my products, but were also the local transport companies. Just about every one was in "Logistics".

We are nearly all dyslexic here, the rest of us just cant spell. I prefer to belong to the cant spell bregade, however most of us are quite rich.

Default Which course

Hi there,

I am currently doing a study on comparing Fairline Boats and Princess yachts, i would like people to share their opinions on both these companies and if you prefer one over the other, or if there is a particular boat that you have great interest in and why?

I would like this to be a debate between memebers. if you have a Fairline or a Princess then please tell me what steered you towards you choice?

Or if you have a boat from a different company then feel free to tell me what you have and why?

Thank you
    and where? Southampton ? or Plymouth.....

This is a global situation so you should look globally.

Brunswick own 35 marine brands making boats from very small to over 100 feet. They own Sealine in the UK. http://www.brunswick.com/brands/marine-boats/index.php

For France look at the http://www.beneteau-group.com/en/le-...eneteau/2.html as they also own a number of brands.

There is a lot of information out there from these big groups who being publically owned must give facts and figures.

Despite the bravura statements on these pages the signs are that all including UK manufacturers have had a tough time. Sunseeker, the biggest UK brand, was effectively sold. Fairline, financed by 3i, had to reduce their production drastically. Princess a similar story as was Sealine.

All have been investing for the future so are no doubt keeping their fingers and everything crossed.

Hi LouiseCollin, Yes, I agree with a lot of the above. The leisure boat market is very diverse. Take a look in any large marina and you will see a huge variety of styles of boats. You have chosen to compare what are effectively variations on a theme.

Take a look at a large marina in northern France and you'll find a much greater preponderance of peche promenades and sailing yachts. There are different lifestyle priorities.

Take look at a marina in the med, and you'll see a lot of larger sports crusiers.

Pop into Monaco and your 30m Princess will be dwarved by the custom yachts.

Would you ask whether people would buy an HP laptop rather than a Dell as a result of the recession? Don't think it would make for very interesting reading. There is definitely a more fundamental question - how elastic is the demand for luxury boats in the context of rising prices - fuel, moorings. If it's competing with essential spend, then it will suffer. The larger the boat, the more likely the individuals are not being impacted by the recession at least to the extent that it affects their discretionary spend. Many people who buy at the 40/50ft end will never aspire to a 100ft plus boat. You are looking at very different customer segments accross these manufacturers ranges.

So in a recession, are they right to move upmarket?

Do they lose out in the long term if they do not have "entry level" models?

What influences the best long term survival strategy?

And also what drives businesses that produce boats? Is it profit and shareholder value? Or do they just love producing great boats and hope to make enough to continue to invest and not make a loss?

Have fun!