Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kelpie is online now Registered User

Slight thread drift but something I've meant to ask for a while:

If your forestay goes, what would be the chances of the spinny halyard saving your bacon and keeping the mast up? I suppose it all depends but is there an argument for those of us who are paranoid keeping the spinny halyard rigged up to a suitably strong point to provide a backup?

Quote Originally Posted by Robwhelton View Post
    Slight thread drift but something I've meant to ask for a while:

If your forestay goes, what would be the chances of the spinny halyard saving your bacon and keeping the mast up? I suppose it all depends but is there an argument for those of us who are paranoid keeping the spinny halyard rigged up to a suitably strong point to provide a backup?
    Many years ago I did lose the forestay whilst tacking. It went at the top, clevis pin twisted out. I didn't even have a genoa halyard to keep the mast up because it was an old style furler where the halyard went up and down the roller. The baby stay managed to hold the mast until I could get the spinny halyard onto the bow roller. This was on a 26ft Telstar tri masthead rig and nothing was cranked up very tight. I suspect it is very boat and luck dependent.