Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nrbx View Post
    Perhaps they like the boat and don't care how fast they go? Is that so unlikely?
    +1

It's (or one very much like it) berthed here at Aquatics. (Wasn't here last week) Looks very nice. I'd have one like a shot if I could afford it!
    Last edited by IRC Kevin; 05-03-11 at 12:45.
    Bayliner 2855 'Teachers' Pet'
    http://www.intrescue.org/

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

Didn't say it doesn't look nice. Just that it's a waste on Windermere.

hlb is offline Registered User

MF started life on Windermere.

So did I, with a different boat. Hated the place, so thats how I got to sea.

Default The Thames -

is full of them,
    well, that's large glistening white three storey things.
    Many don't venture out (thank heavens) 'cos they are scared by the nasty rough locks and overhanging trees. Not to mention the 5mph speed limit.

Horses for courses.
    Windermere for sailing
    The Sea for fast powerboats
    The Thames for smaller craft of all shapes and sizes
    The canals for umm...

Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post
    Apart from the engines perhaps having problems there is all that room that the extra motor and fuel bunkerage uses which would be better employed in the "floating cottage". Not having a planing hull would provide more useable space as well.
    It's the same, I suppose, as buying a Lamborghini and only, ever, using in it central London.
    Doesn't the same go for motor boats which live on the Solent and only ever go across to the Isle of Wight a few times a year. All that expense for the occasional hour each way - surely a holiday cottage would be cheaper, roomier and less worry?

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    The canals for umm...
    Shopping trollies

"Not to mention the 5mph speed limit."

Ahem ...8 kilometers per hour

A caravan near Windermere is more expensive than a boat on the Lake and as for holiday cottages, don't even go there! I much prefer the sports cruiser design over a flybridge, as we use the cockpit as a living space all year round, which we couldn't do with a flybridge unless it was totally enclosed. Having said that, if the lottery came up it would be a Haynes or Broom with a single engine that would be sitting in our berth, as they offer the best of both worlds.
    Some people find the restrictions on Windermere too limiting, we don't and and view every day not there as a wasted day, managing to spend four months of the year (when totalled up) actually on the boat. We don't even mind the speed limit (dons tin hat and waits for incoming!) as we're using the side scan most of the time and that works best at 5mph and has the added bonus of being virtually zero wake so we don't end up drowning the 'suicide boaters'.
    Bayliner 2855 'Teachers' Pet'
    http://www.intrescue.org/

Quote Originally Posted by IRC Kevin View Post
    (snip)
    has the added bonus of being virtually zero wake so we don't end up drowning the 'suicide boaters'.
    So anyone in rowing boat, small dink or canoe is considered "suicidal"

Not much respect for others in that attitude is there? Do you happen to shout "Parp, Parp" when driving your car too?
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/