Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Quote Originally Posted by JKay View Post
    I'm opening a bottle of "Meerlust" and settling in for a Gludy thread(without Paul)

They always go straight over my head
    Very interesting response and far more relevant than 95% of the others contributions

The physics go over your head but as you spend time in the fast flowing Trent I expect the effects are just as well known to you as they are to searush , and your head sorts out the unpredictability

Out of interest have you ever knocked your boat out of gear ?

( in Shallow water , spotted debris, stalled etc) your boat is immediately turned by the current, that cant happen if basic laws of physics are adhered to , more complex physics come into being.

I doubt this will turn into a gludy style thread, MapisM has already started to dig an escape route out in that he has joined Searush and I in agreeing with Powerskippers statement , a very sensible manoeuvre but destroys the fun of a ding dong, but well done for being man enough to admit you could have overlooked an important factor

This is the statement we are arguing over, lets not loose sight of the ball in arguing over the physics !

quote from seajet in red
    I think one might find the whole boat is subject to tide, so apart from inducing waves ( ie wind over tide short breaking seas etc ) tide is irrelevant.

Ducks for cover as pin removed
    Last edited by DAKA; 11-03-11 at 09:33.

Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    MapisM has already started to dig an escape route out in that he has joined Searush and I in agreeing with Powerskippers statement , a very sensible manoeuvre but destroys the fun of a ding dong, but well done for being man enough to admit you could have overlooked an important factor
    Ahem. I'm not sure about who is really following the escape route I dug - if any.
    Anyway, talking of sensible maneuvers, I'll bow out of this now.
    After all, 95% of irrelevant contributors is already more than enough, innit?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    , 95% of irrelevant contributors is already more than enough, innit?
    Just for clarity, I didnt say 95% of contributions were irrelevant, Jkays post just outstands as being more relevant than 95% against the rest in such a perfect summary..........

JKay boats on the fast flowing trent in a sports boat and will suffer the tidal effects more than most , he couldnt give a monkeys about the physics, he just gets on and deals with it !

Other posters who helm ships in almost current free conditions want to argue about the big bang !
    Last edited by DAKA; 11-03-11 at 10:12.

Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    <snip>
    Out of interest have you ever knocked your boat out of gear ?
    <snip>your boat is immediately turned by the current, that cant happen if basic laws of physics are adhered to , more complex physics come into being.
    <snip>
    Momentum & drag ..

The bow is subject to more drag than the stern so will slow down first. The back of the boat has huge f'off engines in and weighs a bit more than the bow so will try and keep pushing - as the bow is trying to slow down unless you can go in a perfect straight line it will slew off to one side or another and hence turn broadside - the increased drag to the stern (now going sideways) slows it down faster ...

The current makes no difference to this process although back eddies and reflected currents found close to banks and rivers will have an affect on the way the boat turns - as will any wind ...

I can just imagine you at a Millwall match sticking your head up every now and then shouting 'Fight, Fight' before going back to hiding in a corner to observe , but we are all refined gentlemen here now since the legends have been thrown out or gone sailing round the world so you will have to be content in stirring the raggies up

Besides you have forgotten to mention the foil effect on the outdrives and rudders.

Good Afternoon Apologies for the delay in reply as I seem to have a meerlust induced headache ,it could be all the discussions why may boat may spin in 6/7 knots of current in a river

The must be more drag at the rear of the boat if stalled in the current due to the outdrives,props etc so I cannot see how there would be more drag at the bow which causes the boat to turn to one side,human error by not having the bow exactly 90 to the current causes it to spin..........where is some more wine?I think a full bodied Shiraz from simonsig will do nicely,pray continue
    "It was the crew's fault"