Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

"here here sir"

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by xyachtdave View Post
    <snip>

Many of the 2.5m you refer to will never work, or want to work no matter who is in the country. The Polish people that have second language skills and are motivated to go to another country to find work, will probably be an attractive proposition to an employer when compared to somebody who has only attended the interview to avoid having benefits stopped.<snip>
    You make my point much better than i maybe did. As an employer, your clear prejudice against English workers, whilst considering foreign workers to be "an attractive proposition", just because they've come to the UK, seems very typical to me.

Note that i haven't called you a racist, i have merely pointed out your obvious prejudice.

I'm not a racist, i know several people from other countries and some are good friends, i don't like employers and politicians (or anyone else) that puts foreign workers before English workers. Too many people in this country constantly knocking the English worker, English traditions and the English way of life, many of them English.

It's a damn shame when you can't have an opinion that favours your fellow countrymen without some fool calling you a racist. Probably why so few people publicly speak their minds.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by millbeach View Post
    All gone mad.
    How can you be "racist" to poles ?
    They are from europe and white.
    But most are Catholic and don't have the Protestant Work Ethic!!!
    Last edited by Kurrawong_Kid; 15-03-11 at 11:06. Reason: Forgot exclamation marks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurrawong_Kid View Post
    But most are Catholic and don't have the Protestant Work Ethic!!!
    I may be wrong but not always

lenseman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    Oh Come on Lisa!... he's spent years in the Royal Navy.... of course he can make tea!...
    With Borax in it!
    regards David - DSW Marine Engineering
    www.dswmarineengineering.com

Jomo is offline Registered User

Ah but in those days I had blighters to make the tea for me.
    I hope you were careful which 'blighters' were volunteered to make the tea
    I Started with nothing and I've still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post
    ... i don't like employers and politicians (or anyone else) that puts foreign workers before English workers. Too many people in this country constantly knocking the English worker, English traditions and the English way of life, many of them English.

It's a damn shame when you can't have an opinion that favours your fellow countrymen without some fool calling you a racist. Probably why so few people publicly speak their minds.
    but why should English people get first dibs on a job? A job's a job and a worker's a worker surely? Are foreign workers less deserving of employment, less affected by poverty and the other impacts of unemployment?

We would pillory a Yorkshireman who couldn't be bothered to seek work outside his home town, but often choose to cast those who leave their homes in other countries in search of work as interlopers.

I think the previous poster was saying "pick the best man for the job...wherever he comes from" (or woman of course).

Now there's an argument about whether our government has a greater duty to its own taxpayers...

Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post
    but why should English people get first dibs on a job? A job's a job and a worker's a worker surely? Are foreign workers less deserving of employment, less affected by poverty and the other impacts of unemployment?

We would pillory a Yorkshireman who couldn't be bothered to seek work outside his home town, but often choose to cast those who leave their homes in other countries in search of work as interlopers.

I think the previous poster was saying "pick the best man for the job...wherever he comes from" (or woman of course).

Now there's an argument about whether our government has a greater duty to its own taxpayers...
    Quite agree. I've moved from one end of the country to the other in response to the need to work.... and would do so internationally if needed.

Why should I be any different from anyone from elsewhere?

maxcampbell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post

+1

We advertised recently, made arrangements to see 6 people, 4 turned up. We gave the job to the only one who'd bothered to look at our website, had thought about what we were trying to do and could see how he could contribute - oh, he is from Romania. Should I have given it to a Brit, just because he's a Brit?