Sy-Revolution is offline Registered User

Default Mytilini Marina, Lesbos......

Does anyone know if it's open yet? If so would it do for an over-winter stop? If not how does the town quay shape up?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

C.

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

It was open but not manned in July 2009. There was plenty of space when we were there, occasionally the water was turned on. Everything was finished to a high standard but the chandler in town told us the nobody could be found to operate it. Shelter was excellent. We were told that the port police had turned boats away in previous years but were no longer interested.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

macd is offline Registered User

Vyv must have been there within days of my stay. At the time there was no power and only occasional water (you kept an eye out for the gardener starting work: he seemed to turn it on). Sad, because all the place needed was a portacabin for an office, power switched on, and it would have been up and running. I dimly remember a public meeting with townspeople criticizing this state of affairs (so common in Greece) but have no idea what became of it.

I imagine the town would be alive enough in the winter to be interesting, but doubt (unless things have changed) that there will be much, if anything, by way of a liveaboard community. Even if things have changed, I doubt there will yet be much of a queue for places.

To visitors: if you stooge into the N harbour before entering the 'marina' you are very likely to get nabbed by the port police who will extract payment for nights in the marina. Go direct to the marina, on the other hand, and you'll probably get off Scot-free. Oh -- and the fisherman's bar on the tongue had the cheapest beer in maritime Greece. An agreeble town in other ways, too.

Sy-Revolution is offline Registered User

MacD, Viv. Thanks for the replies. Any ideas on weather conditions over winter in that part of the Aegean? Winter storms, I'm thinking against the harbour wall etc.....What could/should we expect.

Cheers,

C.

Sorry, Cy-R, I was there July. No idea of conditions in winter.

To generalise, both inner (North) harbour and marina seem well protected. Former also has shelter from adjacent buildings. Marina had the advantage of being so deserted that the few visitors all moored alongside, even in high season. If security issues and occasional minder duties could be addressed, I think I'd have little hesitation in leaving a boat there for a week or two, if that is a factor which concerns you.

Please understand that this is nothing more than informed guessing.

I agree with Macd, I would certainly be happy to leave a boat afloat in the marina in winter. One of the few Greek marinas in which the entrance has been put in the right place to keep waves out! I would imagine that the chandler in town could arrange gardiennage if asked. He seemed a very helpful chap with good English.

dod is offline Registered User

Default no updated replies

Find it strange that no one has replied re this marina in 2010. We visited in May 2010 and all was as has been said above with no water or electricity connected.
    However reports this winter from people who were there in the summer 2010 were of hefty fees 30 /night for 12m although they did have the utilities connected. (Pay extra for this)
    Perhaps someone who was there recently could come forth and either verify or rubbish these reports.
    Come on lets get some real live aboard info.

Bit of thread drift, but someone might welcome it:
    In late July (23/7 to 25/7 in 2009) Plomarion on the south coast of Lesbos holds its annual Ouzo festival. Great carnival atmosphere, free booze, well worth taking in if you enjoy headaches.
    Incidentally the visitors moorings described in the Heikell pilot no longer exist. Visitors berth instead on the town quay towards the NW end of the harbour. This happens to be about 20 metres from the stalls giving away their ouzo, with predictable results.

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    Bit of thread drift, but someone might welcome it:
    In late July (23/7 to 25/7 in 2009) Plomarion on the south coast of Lesbos holds its annual Ouzo festival. Great carnival atmosphere, free booze, well worth taking in if you enjoy headaches.
    Incidentally the visitors moorings described in the Heikell pilot no longer exist. Visitors berth instead on the town quay towards the NW end of the harbour. This happens to be about 20 metres from the stalls giving away their ouzo, with predictable results.
    Yes, that was a memorable night! I wasn't aware how many different types of ouzo there were but in the interest of research I felt duty bound to sample them all. Some good free concerts too.

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Yes, that was a memorable night!
    Maybe for you. I can barely remember a thing