Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by Slow_boat View Post
    As most classic boat owners are not exactly the typical facebook type person, (computers at all is stretching it for some) I predict the classic forum will quietly die if put on facebook.
    Chaps, there is no need to get your collective stout cambric knickers in a twist over Facebook. It's clear that the new forum will be hosted on the Classic Boat site and that they have a Facebook presence as well. Just as, for example, Yachting Monthly already has.

Quote Originally Posted by chinita View Post
    +1

And, presumably the guy who came up with this absurdity has some training in marketing.
    at least a degree in media studies!

Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeekian View Post
    Chaps, there is no need to get your collective stout cambric knickers in a twist over Facebook. It's clear that the new forum will be hosted on the Classic Boat site and that they have a Facebook presence as well. Just as, for example, Yachting Monthly already has.
    Thats all well and good, but who is going to pay for all the red lead powder I spilled on my laptop when I read this news whilst rowing out to caulk my MAB!!!!!

I think the crucial question is, once Chelsea has set up their forum over on their new website, is IPC going to close this one?

It's pretty clear that they don't need to - they can have a forum for older boats if they want, just as they have a liveaboard forum, a Thames forum and a Jester Challenge forum. Who owns any given magazine is irrelevant to that.

Can anyone from IPC comment?

Pete

Thank god ubergeekian, i did wonder why some were getting out of their optomists, i read it that there will be a facebook presence as well as a new forum based on the website, i was begining to think i had mis read it! Oh and i have joined the facebook group - it means i have even less chance of missing interesting stuff, cant be a bad thing in this modern age of communication.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I think the crucial question is, once Chelsea has set up their forum over on their new website, is IPC going to close this one?

It's pretty clear that they don't need to - they can have a forum for older boats if they want, just as they have a liveaboard forum, a Thames forum and a Jester Challenge forum. Who owns any given magazine is irrelevant to that.

Can anyone from IPC comment?

Pete
    Here here

Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeekian View Post
    Exactly.

Completely fail to understand at all the toys being thrown from prams. Why do people on these forums seem to get in such a huge tizzy at the drop of a hat? Seems a bit pathetic to me.

If you don't want to follow on facebook, don't. If you do, but don't want to use your real name, set up an alias using a different email address.

Default Just to reiterate a previous point

Good Afternoon!

I have reposted, as I fear my previous post on page 2 may have been overlooked

As some of you may be aware, Classic Boat magazine, was acquired by The Chelsea Magazine Company late last year, and whilst the magazine that so many of you read will not change editorally, there are a few elements - particularly online - that are going to be re-worked.

The website itself is undergoing a redesign to make it more navigable and to improve the display of content and imagery.

Facebook itself is purely optional, I understand that many people have little or no interest in Facebook, from our point of view we see Facebook as a great way to keep subscribers up to date with new content, competitions and news.

In terms of the forum transfer, you will probably have to re-register but we are still working out the details and will post back asap.

Please, if you have any further questions regarding the new site/forum contact me on:

Tel: 020 7349 1926 - Direct Line
    Email: oliver@chelseamagazines.com

Many thanks

Oliver Morley-Norris
    Web Content Manager
    The Chelsea Magazine Company

This is all too much . Can someone please pass me the turps .
    Blame it on the boogie .

I would be very sorry to see the loss of a forum for "classic" boats from the YBW site. I probably wouldn't sign up for yet another web-site, and this forum seems to have very little to do with the print publication. I fail to see why the move is necessary or desirable; I am sure an agreement between Chelsea Publishing and IPC is perfectly possible and from the point of view of the readership is eminently desirable, giving cross-over between differing readerships.

Mostly we follow these fora because they enable us to get in touch with like-minded people; they are not seen by most of us as an adjunct to the print magazine. I for one do not regularly read ANY print magazines, and it is clear from other debates on these fora that I am in at least a sizeable minority - it may even be the majority.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast