Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    I am sure an agreement between Chelsea Publishing and IPC is perfectly possible
    As far as I'm concerned, such an agreement is irrelevant. If Chelsea Publishing want to set up a companion forum to their magazine on their own site they're more than welcome to, I couldn't care either way although I suspect they might be disappointed how little activity it gets.

What matters is whether IPC feel obliged to close this forum. I can't see why they should, and I hope they don't.

Pete

^ exactly.

You could always have a chelsea magazine header to the classic boat forum, but keep it on the same site so that we don't have to re-register.

Put simply, if it goes to the classic boat site where people will have to re-register and login every time, most people won't bother. I know I won't. It's far far too much of a hassle to browse two sites.
    In the weary waste of waters
    Not the lifting of a wave

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I think the crucial question is, once Chelsea has set up their forum over on their new website, is IPC going to close this one?

It's pretty clear that they don't need to - they can have a forum for older boats if they want, just as they have a liveaboard forum, a Thames forum and a Jester Challenge forum. Who owns any given magazine is irrelevant to that.
    Would be quite surprising if the terms of the sale didn't include a non-compete.
    Last edited by Keen_Ed; 08-04-11 at 13:55.

im registered on 3 sites look at this one every day. one of the others 2ce a week .the last one. once every month or 2 . I look at classic but I couldnt be rsd to look at another site not enough time in the day as it is . As 4 Face book arhh I registerd to have a look what the fuss was about but its like a virus all th options to email you for this txt you for that was on it for a week and started getting txts to fone every 5 mins not interested in txting nor looking at a wall !It was a fortnight befor I got the txts to stop cannot be doing with that cr

Well there is one thing we can all do before it's too late and that is edit out any thing you don't want to go silly public on FB.
    OK it's public on here now but it's to an audience of like minded peeps FB is all and sundry.
    Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practise to deceive.

^ sheesh...read the replies. We're objecting to the CB moving to another site.

As CB have made clear, they are *not* going to move the CB forum pages to facebook
    In the weary waste of waters
    Not the lifting of a wave

Quote Originally Posted by old_salt View Post
    Well there is one thing we can all do before it's too late and that is edit out any thing you don't want to go silly public on FB.
    OK it's public on here now but it's to an audience of like minded peeps FB is all and sundry.
    Actually you have that precisely backwards.

Facebook stuff is generally restricted to your "friends", and can be restricted further if you like.

This forum is accessible to all and sundry, and because of its high quality and long standing gets very high Google rankings which means a search for anything at all relevant is likely to bring it up near the top of the list. Type "silly public on FB" into Google, even without the quotes, and out of all the billions of pages on the Web this thread is the top hit.

But it's all irrelevant because at no point has anyone proposed moving the forum to Facebook, only to another web server just like this one.

Pete

As chattels, you have all been sold.
    Onto the ship of fools with a doughnut and a 13mm spanner...

Umm, maybe YBW could add a new forum to replace 'Classics' with MAB's, or 'Wishfull Thinking' or 'Old Bangers' or something.
    Have to say part of the appeal of YBW is the range of chatter across the board. A site just for Classics might be a bit sterile. Look at classic motor boats & the Old Speed Boat site for example, just a tiny handful of users.

& where else could one read about old Allegro stories ? not via the facebook clientel thats for sure.

Rural Nth Yorks - 2 miles from bus stop, 8 miles from station.

I trust you will not be transferring any of my personal data onto the new site.

I would object most strongly to having any of my personal details appearing an a zoo like Facebook.
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast