Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast
    Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I trust you will not be transferring any of my personal data onto the new site.

I would object most strongly to having any of my personal details appearing an a zoo like Facebook.
    Good job that the new site and Facebook are

Completely Different Things

then, isn't it?

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBlue View Post
    We will be moving all your conversations, threads and user names to the new site next week.
    As a matter of interest, how do you square that with the Privacy Statement to which I agreed when I signed up (my emphases):

If you consent we may sell, rent or trade your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes. Such third parties will be carefully selected and registered with the Information Commissioner.

We may also pass your personal information to third parties to enable them to process a request, order or service; or to supply you with a prize in the event you win a competition or in order to obtain professional advice.

We may provide anonymous, non-personally identifiable aggregate information to advertisers and our business partners, including information relating to sales and web-usage, to enable us to sell advertising and monitor the efficacy of our business partnerships. We may also pass such statistical information onto reputable third parties for onward sale.

It is possible that IPC Media could merge or be acquired by another business. If this happens we may share the information that relates to you. You will be sent notice of such an event.

I don't see anything there which allows IPC to send my personal data to another company without either having been taken over as a whole or without asking my consent.

Of course you'll be aware that use of personal data other than for the reason for which it was originally collected is a criminal offence under the Data Protection Act...
    Last edited by Ubergeekian; 08-04-11 at 21:19.

Here Here !

Quote Originally Posted by Keen_Ed View Post
    This forum isn't provided out of the kindness of the YBW accounting department. It exists to make money for ipc, by bringing people to the website using those visits to sell advertising.

If you're using a service for which you're not paying, then you're not the customer - you're the product. And as such, you get treated as any other product - sold to the highest bidder.

Don't like it? Fair enough. Don't post.
    Nonsense, read what Umber says

One consequence of the change - Feliks will have to find another outlet for his ideas

This forum isn't provided out of the kindness of the YBW accounting department. It exists to make money for ipc, by bringing people to the website using those visits to sell advertising.
    Errrrrrrm unless you are logged in and then there are no adverts

What's your point anyway mate ? You seem to think this is fine
    The classic forum has been part of YBW for many years and one i look in on all the time as do many others .
    To be told we are going to have to go somewhere else to follow our own contributions to this YBW part of the forum is , to be honest , taking the piss .
    I also think that selling a forum where people give free advice is taking the piss .
    Blame it on the boogie .

RELAX, Rum may not be the answer, but nor is water or juice. Now what is your Question?

Quote Originally Posted by davidpbo View Post
    The name of the forum on this site is Classics not even Classic Boat.
    It used to be Classic Boat, but got renamed at the time of the sale. I presumed this was because it was going to continue to operate here, but obviously couldn't keep the name of a magazine that IPC don't own any more.

Transferring the history suggests it might not be continuing though, which would be a pity. I don't intend to use the new forum - I browse this one on my way between the PBO and YM forums, moving it to the metaphorical other side of town will kill that passing trade.

Pete

I enjoy reading this forum even though I will never buy a "Classic Boat". I won't be registering anwhere else. Hope YBW keep this forum, or something with a different name that is identical in content. Perhaps we could have an "Old Boat Owners Forum"?? (with no age limit on anything!!

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast