Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    greycaster is offline New User

Default Transom mount transducer inside hull.

I am about to install a depth sounder with a transom mount. I have heard that it is possible to mount a transom transducer inside the hull and still get accurate results. I would be interested to hear from anybody who has mounted a transom transducer inside the hull.

omega2 is offline Registered User

yes we have, hang the transducer over the side of the boat in contact with the water, switch on and note the signal strength this will be the optimum, then chose a place 2/3rds along the boats length, place the transducer in a plastic bag with a little water in, plonk it around to get the best signal return that compares with the outside test. When "happy" lightly sand the area, and with a slow curing epoxy glue, gently squirm the face of the transducer onto the hull, this action will eject any air pockets. Or build a dam big enough to accept the transducer and fill with castor or baby oil then place the transducer into it. Will not work if your hull is a sandwich construction.

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by omega2 View Post
    yes we have, hang the transducer over the side of the boat in contact with the water, switch on and note the signal strength this will be the optimum, then chose a place 2/3rds along the boats length, place the transducer in a plastic bag with a little water in, plonk it around to get the best signal return that compares with the outside test. When "happy" lightly sand the area, and with a slow curing epoxy glue, gently squirm the face of the transducer onto the hull, this action will eject any air pockets. Or build a dam big enough to accept the transducer and fill with castor or baby oil then place the transducer into it. Will not work if your hull is a sandwich construction.
    A silicone sealant will make a less permanent fixing than epoxy. Important however you do it to ensure no air bubbles are trapped.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    A silicone sealant will make a less permanent fixing than epoxy. Important however you do it to ensure no air bubbles are trapped.
    So dont use Araldite Rapid
    Main problem with epoxies are they are so runny, and the hull usually isnt flat.You need to make some sort of plasticine bath to keep the epoxy in place til it goes off, or it all runs away.

Default transom mounted transducer in hull

I am afraid I was a bit lazy when I mounted my airmar depth transducer for the fishfinder part of my raymarine plotter..I just stuck it to the hull using builders non hardeneing mastic (like plasticine or blue tack) and there it has stayed for 7 years.....

Seems to show the depth just fine, although I have to admit to not catching too many fish ( a few though)

beyondtheblue is offline Registered User

I used a Tupperware container with most of the bottom cut out, stuck it down with silicone, fixed the transducer to the side of container, fill with cooking oil, cut a notch in the lid for the cable
    Regards
    Beyond the Blue

PVC water / drain pipe works well.

yoda is offline Registered User

I've done it with a Navman transom transducer without any problem. Go for it.

Yoda

Wight Dawn is offline Registered User

I used walpaper paste as a coupling agent to find a good bit of hull. then cleaned it off, dried it thoroughly and stuck the sensor down with silicon. I can get readings up to 300 feet.
    Ken

I stuck a Navman one in with Blutack, just to test it you understand, and five years later it is still stuck in with Blutack and still works. It reads depth down to a little over 20 metres stuck that way, which is fine for a backup system.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.