Thread: clinker layup

Default clinker layup

For a various reasons I need to layup a small clinker yacht outside for a year. It has a full length cover virtually end to end with vents at each end. Its fairly well sheltered from wind.

What suggestions do you guys (& gals) have please for preventing drying out, I toyed with laying carpet underlay or sacking in the bilges etc. and keeping her wet inside when possible and hoping the water wicks up. The fresh water causing rot worries me so thought of adding some salt (eg table salt in the bilge or hanging a horse salt lick inside)

Probably a stupid idea! What do you think?

rgds

I kept a clinker dinghy on a trailer for more than a year with a cover as you describe and it had been in a garage for many years before that.
    I made every effort to keep water out.
    Once it's taken up again it will be OK.

I never liked the idea of water standing inside the boat.
    Another person's thoughts about you are outside of your jurisdiction.

Default clinker layup

Hi Zak,
    I have build clinker boats in the past and they have been fine if just left under a cover. The main problem comes is where to put it when laying it up. If you can find a area which is out of direct sunlight it is the best place. If this is not possible then put a light coloured cover over it and keep it away from any place that is windy.

Regards
    S.P.

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboat View Post
    Hi Zak,
    I have build clinker boats in the past and they have been fine if just left under a cover. The main problem comes is where to put it when laying it up. If you can find a area which is out of direct sunlight it is the best place. If this is not possible then put a light coloured cover over it and keep it away from any place that is windy.
    S.P.
    I concur. Having worked on several laid-up clinker boats over the years I found that they open up when exposed to hot sun and wind and actually take up a bit during wetter, cooler winter conditions.

What's she built of? Our Finesse is built of iroko and it hardly 'moves' at all but a larch planked ex-ship's lifeboat I worked on opened like a sieve!
    Do not worry too much they all take up again after a good wetting. Bill

I concur with jstarboat and Redwing. Last winter my 62 year old Folkboat (clinker mahogany) was in a shed for about 7 months. On relaunching she took about half a day to take up to the point where the electric bilge pump was 'off' for more time than it was running, and a further week to the stage where the pump ran briefly a couple of times a day.
    Ken McCulloch
    Fulmar 32 'Fingal'