Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Python 27 TSDY is it a classic or just an old boat ?

I've bought myself a Python 27 (8.1) with twin perkins 4107's, i havent been able to find any information on the python boats or toughs of teddington boatyard who built the boat in 1976.

But what i wanted to know, is have i bought a classic cruiser ?, or have i just bought an old boat !, i'm not worried either way, as i am going to restore it and use it and plan to moor it in poole harbour eventually, but it would be nice to know if there are any other python owners around or any more information about the boat of the make ?

Just an old boat. You can call it a "Classic" if you want to as there is no clear definition (in relation to boats) as to what it means!

Get it working and enjoy it.

Thanks, i thought as much, i just wondered whether to post questions in the classics section, or the normal sections, i guess i know where to post at least now even if i still know nothing about the history of the boats !

If it is made of wood, then questions are more likely to get results here than on the mobo section.

Default Python 27

Built by Toughs of Teddington at the same time as their Cobra 33.
    From memory it was a deep V hull really designed for larger engines and higher speeds than your Perkins 4107's will provide.
    Good tough (sic!!) hull. Some were bought as hull/ super' for completion elsewhere.
    For use at sea around Poole I would want some convincing that the engine/ hull configuration worked.
    Enjoy.

Wooden boats are a bit beyond my ability for restoring and maintaining, i am ripping the whole of the front cabin out and starting again as all the wood is well beyond its best before date, and there is no bathroom on this boat either which i found very strange, so i am putting one in when i redo it, just a simple shower and loo will do me

Quote Originally Posted by TopDonkey View Post
    Wooden boats are a bit beyond my ability for restoring and maintaining, i am ripping the whole of the front cabin out and starting again as all the wood is well beyond its best before date, and there is no bathroom on this boat either which i found very strange, so i am putting one in when i redo it, just a simple shower and loo will do me
    I know nothing about motor boats, but be very careful - some of that wood you're ripping out may be structural - especially any bulk-heads or longitudinal elements.

It doesnt look like a deep V to me, more of a cross between a semi displacement and a V hull, have a look at these 2 pictures to see what you think, there are 2 of them in use on the isle of wight, so i am assuming that they are good at sea as they dont have many rivers over there to use them on !, nearly all of the ones i have seen have twin perkins 4107's although there is 1 that has twin 150hp petrol engines in it

Dont worry, i'm not taking out any bulkheads !, i am replacing one as it is rotted through, but i am using it as a template and will replace it exactly the same in 18mm marine ply sheathed in fiberglass and glassed into the hull, the rest of the woodwork is just cupboards, the kitchen area and the seating on the other side that are comming out, none is structural

Quote Originally Posted by TopDonkey View Post
    I've bought myself a Python 27 (8.1) with twin perkins 4107's, i havent been able to find any information on the python boats or toughs of teddington boatyard who built the boat in 1976.

But what i wanted to know, is have i bought a classic cruiser ?, or have i just bought an old boat !, i'm not worried either way, as i am going to restore it and use it and plan to moor it in poole harbour eventually, but it would be nice to know if there are any other python owners around or any more information about the boat of the make ?
    I think they are quite stylish and very much a design of that era. Sounds like the engines are a little small but that would be just about right for a river/estuary boat. I always liked the look
    and their sturdy appearance. I think yes an old motorboat and though not of the same pedigree as some I would bet the hulll design is based on the work by Ray Hunt. Nice boats and am sure it will provide you with a great sense of enjoyment. I notice the hull looks very similar to the Dell Quay Ranger but never having looked at either up close it would be hard to say there was a connection...................

the guys you brought this boat off, they didnt by any chance drive a yellow three wheeler and were called the trotter brothers ?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast