Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    I do find it bizarre that employees of IPC are willing to personally commit criminal acts on behalf of their employer.
    Might want to hold back on such accusations. I've asked in a more knowledgeable group, and so far one answer has mentioned an angle I hadn't thought of.

It's not uncommon for answers in that group to come back diametrically opposed to each other though - will have to see what anyone else adds.

Pete

This really bugs me too. How are YBW distinguishing Classics Forum regulars from the rest of registered YBW forum members?

I'm not normally interested in Classics Forum but happened in here by chance, horrified to discover that YBW seem to be selling my personal information without even letting me know, regardless of undertakings by the new proprietors to observe the Data Protection Act.

IPC need to have a word with their lawyers here, it is very likely this is illegal.

It is, they just haven't admitted it yet, thinking they're dealing with idiots. They seem to have no idea how illegal what they're planning to do, is

Based on your reading of the fine print, how have you come to this conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanS View Post
    Based on your reading of the fine print, how have you come to this conclusion?
    Who are you asking?

Pete

Sixpence, who I responded to.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanS View Post
    Sixpence, who I responded to.
    That would be me then

You get all sorts of customers in this line of work Brenda, one or two happen to know a bit about legal stuff where this sort of thing applies

Two began to sign up so they could see the T&C's, then backed out when they read the thread in question

Says it all really

Quote:
    "IPC Media sold the magazine Classic Boat and the associated Classic Boat website and forum as a going concern to Chelsea Publishing late 2010. Chelsea Publishing now own all Classic Boat trademarks, content and associated data including forum names and email addresses of people who have posted to the Classic Boat forum
    Is this element of the sale legal?"

I refer you to the bottom of the page.

Privacy Statement

What will we disclose to third parties?

If you consent we may sell, rent or trade your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes. Such third parties will be carefully selected and registered with the Information Commissioner.

We may also pass your personal information to third parties to enable them to process a request, order or service; or to supply you with a prize in the event you win a competition or in order to obtain professional advice.

We may provide anonymous, non-personally identifiable aggregate information to advertisers and our business partners, including information relating to sales and web-usage, to enable us to sell advertising and monitor the efficacy of our business partnerships. We may also pass such statistical information onto reputable third parties for onward sale.

It is possible that IPC Media could merge or be acquired by another business. If this happens we may share the information that relates to you. You will be sent notice of such an event.

IPC Media reserves the right to disclose personally identifiable information in order to comply with the law, applicable regulations and government requests. We also reserve the right to use such information in order to protect our operating systems and integrity as well as other users.

Any third parties employed by us to process your data on our behalf are subject to contractual obligations to protect the security of your data in accordance with the terms of this Privacy Policy.

---------------------------------------

But you probably knew this.

Has there been a change in this statement in the last few weeks/days?
    Orrabest
    Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpence View Post
    That would be me then

You get all sorts of customers in this line of work Brenda, one or two happen to know a bit about legal stuff where this sort of thing applies

Two began to sign up so they could see the T&C's, then backed out when they read the thread in question

Says it all really
    Who are the two who began to sign up and read T&C's

Quote Originally Posted by duncanmack View Post
    It is possible that IPC Media could merge or be acquired by another business. If this happens we may share the information that relates to you. You will be sent notice of such an event.
    IPC has neither been bought by, merged with, or indeed bought Chelsea Publishing, so that doesn't apply.

I believe the mechanism being used is not anything set down explicitly in the terms, but rather the general principle that rights in content can be bought and sold separately from the content. That's the extra leap that was missing from my earlier assessment. So IPC can't sell our contributions, but they can sell their right to publish them. The terms could prohibit that (you often see the phrase "you grant us a non-exclusive, non-transferrable license to...") but I don't think these ones (haven't bothered to re-read) do.

So that's that covered. I'm happy now, I think.

Pete

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast