Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Cantata is offline Registered User

Default West Mersea - visitor moorings

If you use a mooring as a visitor at West Mersea from now on, you are going to have to pay for it - see News on http://www.eastcoastpilot.com
    Last edited by Cantata; 24-04-11 at 20:32.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

15 for my 34' boat is about the same as Helford or Salcombe, which is not going to encourage me to go there, though our club sometimes goes for the odd rally. However, it's their moorings and I suppose they can do what they want.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Pity, I always had quite a soft spot for W Mersea because of their approach to visitors; and having just changed from a 32' to a 34' I'm not sure I approve of their charge differentiation!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonfire View Post
    Pity, I always had quite a soft spot for W Mersea because of their approach to visitors; and having just changed from a 32' to a 34' I'm not sure I approve of their charge differentiation!
    In the past I made every effort to use the club bar and catering in return for the hospitality shown by the WMYC with regard to thier moorings but sadly I don't think I'll be visting as often this year. My boat is very much on the cusp of the threshold between 10 and 15 rates so I now count myself lucky that I was charged the lower amount last weekend. Afterwards I tried to recall the number of places on the East coast that now don't charge but the only places I could think of were Marconi Sailing Club, Medway Yacht Club and Ramsholt.

Leaving aside the buoys marking the channel into Tollesbury Creek (which already appear to be sponsored) I did wonder how useful the other marks really were rather than using the moorings as a guide to the deepest water.

Good point about the buoys up to the Quarters and as a member I regret this and the charge for the launch. But the cost of providing two launches and two full-time employees is pretty heavy on a Club with only a 1000 members or so. This charge is by ALL mooring owners not just WMYC - the majority of the moorings are not owned by the YC.

We maintain a free visitors mooring at Gravesend Sailing Club (its the yellowy/white one at the eastern end of the trot) but it costs us 400 a year to rent. We would really like to see more people use the buoy because we like seeing people and we need to justify the cost to members.

George at Ramsholt now charges 5/night, but it goes in the RNLI boat.

Slow_boat is offline Registered User
    Location : My own cosy little world where nice things happen and life is beautiful all the time

That's a bit of a shame.

West Mersea was one of my favorite places but a tenner a time is a bit steep for an overnight bouy for budget sailor. A fiver, maybe. The anchor is still free but out of dinghy range so it looks like west Mersea isn't a regular stop anymore.

I may not be able to resist the Smack Challenge or the party in the packing shed, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    If you use a mooring as a visitor at West Mersea from now on, you are going to have to pay for it - see link from http://www.eastcoastpilot.com
    Shame - but understandable. I think 10 might put some people off. Agree that 5 to start with might have been an idea.

Does the 10 include the use of the taxi service ?
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    Shame - but understandable. I think 10 might put some people off. Agree that 5 to start with might have been an idea.

Does the 10 include the use of the taxi service ?
    Taxi goes home too early of an evening to be of any use
    i dont need to go there that desperately if they charge.
    much the same @ Ramsholt when the "Estate " wanted to charge the Rich mooring holders 200 pa to park + dinghy permit rather that the 20 previously. the fist year their receipts 400 rather that the 4k the year before.
    They had a change of heart the nxt year
    Last edited by sailorman; 19-04-11 at 18:35.
    I may be wrong but not always